Last chance to pre-pay for the Dance-A-Thon
Just a few more days before the The J.Y. Joyner Foundation cranks up the disco balls and the glow sticks! Hope to see you this Friday, Nov. 20, from 5:30-7:30 p.m.for the Dance-A-Thon at the JYJ overhang. Buy your wristband in the front lobby before school through Thursday and add your spare change to the teacher dance jars. Invite your friends and RSVP on the Facebook event by clicking here to let the food trucks know how many people to expect. Tickets will also be available at the event — and every dollar raised for the Foundation makes our Spanish department stronger.
Bring some JYJ cheer
Looking for a way to give back this holiday season? Check out the JYJ snowman tree in the main office (available starting Friday morning) to help out our families in need of assistance during the holidays. We have more families needing assistance this year, so there will be more numbers on the tree. If you would like to help by donating gifts, just take a number off the snowman tree, fill out the bottom portion and return it to our school counselors, Andrea Burston or Jessie Hunt, so they can keep track of returned gifts. Please bring in all wrapped gifts (in a bag please) with the tag number by Monday, Dec. 7.
We are also collecting new socks to donate to Note in the Pocket, a charity organization that provides clothing to WCPSS children in need, and deodorant (any type for men or women) to donate to the Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN). Look for the bins at the front entrance for socks and deodorant donations. Thank you for all of your support! If you have questions, please contact Andrea Burston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Holiday shopping at the JYJ Book Fair
Help the PTA raise money for the JYJ media center and knock out some of your holiday shopping while you’re dropping off your kids at school! Our annual book fair will take place Dec. 7-11 during school hours, opening every day from 8 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. Sales end at noon on Dec. 11. Can’t make it during the school day? We’ll have two special extra-hours events:
- On Wednesday, Dec. 9, enjoy early morning shopping starting at 7:30 a.m.
- On Thursday, Dec. 10, hours extend until the beginning of the PTA general membership meeting and our holiday concert at 6 p.m.
New this year is an online book fair! Forward the link to grandparents and other family members to purchase wish list items and pick them up at the book fair: http://bookfairs.scholastic.com/homepage/joynerelemsch1.
Lots of volunteers are needed to help this important event run smoothly.Please sign up on MemberHub. For more information, contact co-chairs Laura Moreschi at email@example.com or Catherine Otto at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Share after-school, holiday and summer camp ideas
We’ve created three whiteboards in MemberHub to give parents a place to make recommendations and look for suggestions — check the links below to jump to each whiteboard, then click the EDIT button at the top of the page to add your ideas (be sure to SAVE at the bottom of the page when you’re done). If you’ve got other similar topics that you wish had their own whiteboard, let us know by replying to this email with your request.
- After-school programs with transportation
- Teacher workday/school holiday activities
- Summer camp options (yes, we know it’s early, don’t panic!)
Turning markers into fuel
Thanks to all who have brought in your old markers for the Crayola ColorCylce program! After a little over a month, we have collected 170 markers to recycle. Remember you can send in ANY brand of marker and drop them in the colorful collection bins near Ms. Burston’s office and Mr. Fotta’s room — keep bringing them in! Contact Rebecca Blum if you have questions.
Hooray for science!
A quick shout-out to the following companies, organizations and agencies who were represented at last week’s Science-Go-Round:
- NC Museum of Natural Sciences
- Lake Crabtree County Park
- North Carolina State Parks
- National Institute of Environmental Health (JYJ parent)
- We Plant It Forward (JYJ alum parent)
- Harris Lake County Park
- Cary Academy Robotics Team
- Wake County Solid Waste Services
- SAS (JYJ parent)
- North Carolina State Crime Laboratory: Latent Evidence Section
- The Traveling Tortoise
- Wake Tech Community College
- Microsoft (JYJ parent)
- NCSU Chemistry Department
- Wild Animal Encounters
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog: “Building Citizenship”
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- November lunch menu
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Nov. 20: Nacho bar for teachers/staff provided by PTA
- Nov. 20: JY Joyner Foundation Dance-A-Thon, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Nov. 25: Teacher workday
- Dec. 7-11: Book Fair
- Dec. 10: Holiday concert and PTA general membership meeting
- Dec. 18: Early release and teacher/staff appreciation lunch provided by PTA
- Dec. 21: Teacher workday (and beginning of the winter holiday)