Where did the time go?! Hard to believe it’s our last NewsFlash of the 2015-16 school year. Many thanks to you and all the amazing parents, teachers, staff, families and friends who make Joyner such a wonderful place to be. Your contributions throughout the year are too overwhelming to list here (seriously, none of you would read all of that), but please know that your time and energy are so valuable to every child here! A special thank you to all the parents who served on the executive board or chaired a committee over the past year — many of you went above and beyond the call of duty and we are so grateful. The 2016-17 PTA officers will be working over the summer to be sure that next year is just as fabulous.
And one more thank you — to the Class of 2016! Thanks to this year’s 5th grade class for giving Joyner this amazing mural, created by the very talented (Joyner mom) Denise Hughes, as a special backdrop for our new stage. What a beautiful gift for the whole Joyner family! Best wishes to all our graduates.
Summer is for reading
Check the bottom of your kid’s backpack for a pink sheet with information about JYJ’s Summer Reading program, which begins as soon as the last bell rings on June 9 (or maybe your kids actually handed the info to you, in which case, congratulations on raising such responsible citizens!). Extra reading logs, as well as program info inEnglish and Spanish, are available on MemberHub. Students can keep track of the minutes they read this summer (either at www.scholastic.com or on the log in sheet) and then turn in their minutes by Sept. 4 to participate in a fun-filled celebration. Don’t miss out!
Your summer to-do list:
- Order your children’s school supplies online so that they’ll magically show up at school in August (the supplies, that is, not your kids). By July 15, Just click this link and login with our account number (JOY014), then find the packs for your child’s grade for next year and order.
- Send a picture of your child(ren) in a JYJ shirt during your summer trips to email@example.com by Aug. 19.
- Sign up to water our new learning garden — just come over twice during the week that you sign up for and help keep our garden growing strong.
- Track your summer reading (see item at top).
- Attend fun camps run by Joyner teachers.
- Don’t forget to wear sunscreen.
Magical marker collection
Thanks to your contributions this year, PTA volunteer Rebecca Blum will be mailing off 323 markers for the Crayola Colorcycle program. Be sure to collect your used-up markers over the summer and bring them to Joyner in August — let’s see if we can keep even more plastic out of the trash and into this recycling program!
Still time to stock the hospital treasure box
Joyner is collecting items for the UNC Children’s Hospital’s “treasure box,” where young patients can pick out a prize after having blood drawn. Items needed include: crossword puzzle books, any books (all reading level), games, small toys, coloring books, markers, crayons, colored pencils. Look for the bin at Joyner’s front entrance to drop off those items and bring a smile to some kids (and their families) who might really need one.
Summer meals for kids
Last year, nearly one million low-income North Carolina public school children received meals during the school year, but less than 15 percent received meals or snacks at approved summer meal sites in their neighborhoods. To help address this critical need, North Carolina Department of Public Instruction (NCDPI) School Nutrition Services staff, along with a number of statewide partners, have announced the availability of the Summer Nutrition Programs for students across the state. Once the school year ends, nearly 3,000 summer nutrition meals sites will help bridge the school meals gap until the beginning of the new school year. Click here for details, including a program locator map and text-messaging service to find the site closest to you.
Connecting new JYJ families
Know a new family coming to Joyner next year? Let them know they can sign up to join our MemberHub at http://bit.ly/JYJmemberhub. We will send a couple of updates over the summer, so be sure your friends are on the list!
- Joyner PTA website
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- June 7: Step Up Day for K-4th grades
- June 7: Don’t forget to vote! Visit ncvoter.org for details.
- June 8: 5th grade celebration (pre-ceremony reception in cafeteria at 8:30, graduation at 9 a.m. followed by pizza party)
- June 9: School store open
- June 9: Annual faculty vs. 5th grade kickball game, 9 a.m. at Kiwanis Park
- June 10: No more school for the summer
- Aug. 29: First day of the 2016-17 school year!