Road construction warning
For families driving to school, please avoid traveling to Joyner via Medway Drive. The entire street is being resurfaced and will be one lane through mid to late September. Lowden Street approaching Medway has also been closed. That project, combined with several houses under construction on Medway, means driving and parking on the street will be challenging at best.
Meet the Teacher this Friday morning
Come on by Joyner this Friday morning between 8 and 9:30 to meet your 1st-5th grade classroom teachers for the new school year — you can also get your carpool number, sign-in any medications and register for before/after school care while you’re there. If you pre-ordered school supplies, be sure to pick them up in the cafeteria and bring them to your child’s classroom while you’re there.
We send best wishes with several faculty and staff who are leaving us for new adventures this year and we welcome the new faces to our Joyner family! Check out the school website for changes and bios about our 2016-17 team and see Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog for more.
School grounds get spiffy
The grounds around Joyner got a major upgrade this week! More than 150 new plants and trees were planted to welcome everyone back to school. A special thank you to Danielle Slavin for her vision in plantings and to Julie Dalton for working her magic to make it all happen!
Before you arrive on Monday…
Here’s a quick list of back-to-school links, to help you get ready:
- Get information about bus routes from WCPSS: http://www.wcpss.net/Page/174.
- At Meet the Teacher, be sure to pick up your No-Fuss Fundraiser form to make your PTA donation — or go ahead and download the form, fill it out and bring your check with you on Aug. 26, or just make your donation online.
- Check out our handy-dandy JYJ glossary to find definitions of terms and explanations of programs to help keep you in the know — it’s saved in the Files section of the Joyner hub.
- Don’t forget to update your contact info in MemberHub. Our PTA MemberHub volunteers will get you added to the appropriate classroom and grade level hubs once class lists are available. Know someone coming to Joyner who isn’t set up in MemberHub? Invite them to complete the form at this link: http://bit.ly/JYJmemberhub.
- Fill out your Summer Reading Challenge logs — extra reading logs, as well as program info in English and Spanish, are available on MemberHub or track at www.scholastic.com.
- Find forms for before- and after-school care on the JYJ website (2014-15 info is still true for 2016-17): http://www.wcpss.net/domain/2010.
Joyner’s Backpack Buddies needs your help
We still need your help funding Joyner’s Backpack Buddies program, administered through the Interfaith Food Shuttle. So far we’ve funded only about one-quarter of the food insecure students to be able to take home some basic food each weekend. It costs $350 per child to provide them with a weekly bag to take home filled with nutritious food throughout the school year.
If you would like to contribute, just click this link — you can donate anonymously if you wish, and it only takes a minute! Alternatively, you can mail your donation to: Ele Roberts 616 Mial Street, Raleigh 27608. Checks can be made out to Interfaith Food Shuttle with “Joyner” on the memo line. Donations are tax deductible. You will receive a receipt for tax purposes directly from Interfaith Food Shuttle. If you have questions, please contact our Joyner volunteers: Ele Roberts (919) 649-6600, Lisa Brown (919)782-0640 or Kelly Valdespino (919)835-0405.
- Joyner PTA website
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Aug. 25: Bowling fundraiser for the JYJ Foundation at The Alley (2512 Hillsborough St.), 6-8 p.m.
- Aug. 26: Meet the Teacher (grades 1-5), 8-9:30 a.m.
- Aug. 29: First day of school!
- Sept. 2: Kindergarten Meet the Teacher, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
- Sept. 8: Open House, 5-7 p.m.