Study Buddies information session
Please join us in the library THIS MORNING (Nov. 9) from 8-8:30 a.m. to learn more about the Study Buddies program beginning at Joyner. The program will pair adult volunteers with students in each grade that need a little extra one-on-one time reading or doing class work — no prior teaching experience necessary. For more information, contact Kate Parke email@example.com.
No Fuss Fundraiser comes close to goal
Many, many, many thanks to all of you who contributed to the PTA’s annual No-Fuss Fundraiser this fall! With your help, we raised $22,517.56 (plus $500 outstanding from corporate matches) — so just about $2,000 shy of our goal. Through the great efforts of our Jagwear team, the clothing sales earned more than expected, so we’re hopeful not to have to cut funding to any PTA programs despite not quite reaching our No-Fuss goals. Thank you again for your continued support of the Joyner PTA in so many important ways.
Sounds of science drops this Thursday!
The Science Go Round Committee still needs a few more volunteers to help during our spectacular science event on Thursday, Nov. 10 — sign up to assist in a classroom or bring a cart/dolly to help move materials. JYJ’s annual Science Go Round is a fun-filled day when scientists and parents give hands-on demonstrations to our students, connecting science application with the real world. Contact Katie Calvillo at 919-272-3225 or Katie@calvillo.com.
Design the next JYJ yearbook cover
All students are invited to submit an entry for the JYJ yearbook cover contest! Design a creative cover with a Joyner theme using markers, crayons or colored pencils on an 8.5×11″ page in portrait orientation. Turn in entries to your classroom teacher or the front office by Wednesday, Nov. 30. Teachers and staff will vote on the submissions, and winners will be announced on the WJYJ news in mid-December.
Last week to pre-pay for the Dance-a-Thon
It’s just over a week before The J.Y. Joyner Foundation cranks up the disco balls and cracks the glow sticks! Here’s how to get ready:
- Buy your wristbands and raffle tix. Advance wristband sales and raffle ticket sales continue in the front lobby through Nov. 16. Everyone ages 5 and up must have a wristband to enter. Wristbands are $3 in advance, $5 at the door, or reserve your Advance Family Pack for $20. Also, don’t forget to enter the raffles for amazing music-related prizes ($1/raffle ticket) or a carpool pass ($10/raffle ticket)! Check out the prizes in the front lobby.
- RSVP on the Facebook event by clicking here to let the food trucks know how many people to expect.
- Please get your pledges in by Nov. 15 on the orange pledge form or the SUPER easy PayPal link on the JYJ Foundation website. The class with the most sponsorships gets its own DJ Shout Out!
- If your child wants to make a dance video (20 seconds or less) that will be shown on the big screen Nov. 17, get on it! Videos are due to firstname.lastname@example.org NOON on Nov. 15.
- Just shimmy on over Thursday, Nov. 17, from 5:30-7:30 p.m. at the JYJ overhang — food trucks will start serving at 5:00. We’ll see you on the dance floor!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Nov. 9: Study Buddies meeting, 8-8:30 a.m., media center
- Nov. 10: Science Go Round
- Nov. 10: Picture make-up day
- Nov. 11: Veteran’s Day (no school)
- Nov. 1-15: JYJ Foundation Dance-A-Thon wristbands and raffle tickets for sale in the lobby; collect Dance-a-Thon pledges (PayPal option: http://joynerfoundation.org/#)
- Nov. 15: Dance video entries (20 seconds max.) due by NOON to email@example.com
- Nov. 17: 2nd Annual JYJ Foundation Dance-a-Thon, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Nov. 30: Yearbook cover designs due
- Dec. 2: Early release
- Dec. 5-9: JYJ Book Fair
- Dec. 5-9: Hour of Code