If you missed out on Science Go Round, be sure to check out the pictures on Twitter! Those JYJ teachers are seriously brave. A great big thank you to Science Go Round committee chair Katie Cavillo and to all the volunteers and presenters who made it such a great day!
Small steps change lives
During this week, schools throughout the country will celebrate National School Psychology Awareness Week to highlight the important work school psychologists and other educators do to help all students do their best. We share our school psychologist, Ms. Nasto, with another WCPSS school — she is at Joyner working closely with our counselors, social worker and staff for two and a half days a week. Following this year’s theme that “Small Steps Change Lives,” the PTA blog offers several ways families can help children make positive changes in small increments.
Bring cheer for families in need
The holidays are nearing and Joyner has several options for giving back during this time. Once again, JYJ will have the snowman tree to help out our families in need of assistance during the holidays. If you would like to help by donating gifts, please take a number off the snowman tree located in the front office starting Monday morning (Nov. 21). We have more families needing assistance this year, so there are more numbers on the tree — just take a number, fill out the bottom portion and return it to our school counselors (Andrea Burston and Beth Vincent) or Elizabeth Ferriter in the front office. They will use this info to keep track of returned gifts. Please return all wrapped gifts (in a bag please) with the tag number attached by Monday, Dec. 5.
We are also collecting new socks to donate to Note in the Pocket, which provides clothing to children in need enrolled in WCPSS schools, as well as travel-size toiletries (toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc for men and women) to donate to Interact of Wake County. Look for collection bins at the school’s front entrance. Thank you for all of your support, if you have questions please contact Andrea Burston.
Design the next JYJ yearbook cover
All students are invited to submit an entry for the JYJ yearbook cover contest! Design a creative cover with a Joyner theme using markers, crayons or colored pencils on an 8.5×11″ page in portrait orientation. Turn in entries to your classroom teacher or the front office by Wednesday, Nov. 30. Teachers and staff will vote on the submissions, and winners will be announced on the WJYJ news in mid-December.
Spaces left for Study Buddies
Looking for a small way to make a big difference at Joyner? We still have 20 slots open for study buddy volunteers. Available times include the 20 minutes right before pick up — come read with a student, then pick up your kids without having to get in the carpool line! Contact Kate Parke at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
You shared, we’re listening
Thanks to everyone who participated in the PTA School of Excellence Parent Survey! We had a great response rate and want to share the feedback and next steps with all of you.
More than 90% of respondents answered ‘Always’ or ‘Frequently’ to these three questions, making them some successes we can celebrate:
- Our school and PTA communicate with families in multiple ways.
- Families feel encouraged to volunteer.
- Families feel they are treated fairly regardless of age, gender, race or cultural background.
More than 40% of respondents answered ‘Sometimes’ or ‘Never’ to these questions, so we’ll be looking closer here for ways to improve:
- Families feel they are collaborative partners that share in the decision making for areas such as policy, curricula, budget, school reform, safety, and personnel.
- Families feel they have input in the development of our school improvement plan.
- Our school includes students in parent-teacher conferences as active participants in discussions of expectations and work quality.
We will submit the full survey results to the National PTA this month. They will review it and send us a Roadmap to Excellence, which will contain recommendations specific to Joyner. We’ll use those recommendations to make changes that strengthen our family-school partnership through the school year. We have a lot to be proud about as a community, and we’re excited to do even more in the future — stay tuned!
Volunteer signup ready for the Book Fair
Get your holiday shopping done and help out the PTA at the same time! The Joyner Book Fair is coming to the media center the week of Dec. 5. See the signup in MemberHub to pick a 1-hour shift (or two or three) and help make the Book Fair a success: https://memberhub.com/HSR6192I4713.
Get your dancing shoes ready!
Here’s your checklist for the second annual J.Y. Joyner Foundation Dance-a-Thon this Thursday (that’s TOMORROW) from 5:30-7:30 p.m.
1. Everyone over 4 needs a wristband to enter. LAST CHANCE FOR ADVANCE SALES is this morning in the lobby (wristbands $3 or Family Pack $20). After that, wristbands will be available at the door for $5 and bonus tickets for $1 each. Your kids can exchange bonus tickets for water, sweets, DJ shout-outs and glow swag.
2. This is NOT a drop-off party. All children must have an adult responsible for them.
3. Do parents dance? Totally. Plus: look for the Dads Dance-Off sometime around 6:15. Last year it was a crowd favorite. Dads, limber up!!
4. Have dinner at the Dance-A-Thon! Please RSVP on FB so the Food Trucks can be prepared, and check out their menus here: https://www.facebook.com/events/144541742682269/
5. REMEMBER TO BRING CASH! Small bills if possible. Raffle tickets, entry wristbands, bonus tickets, and most food trucks are cash-only.
6. The evening looks clear and cool. Bundle up, then keep warm on the dance floor!
7. Entry is via the carpool driveway on Noble Road. The back path by the gym will NOT be lighted, and playgrounds are off-limits.
8. Is this a fundraiser? Yes, sponsored by the Joyner Foundation. Last year, the Dance-A-Thon combined with the Spring Gala funded an entire teacher position. Pledges are tax-deductible and still can be made online. Share the link with aunts, uncles, grandparents, anyone who would like to help support your child’s education. All funds go back into our school.
Questions? Email Kate Whitney email@example.com or Anne Elizabeth Harrell firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Nov. 1-16: JYJ Foundation Dance-A-Thon wristbands and raffle tickets for sale in the lobby; collect Dance-a-Thon pledges (PayPal option: http://joynerfoundation.org/#)
- Nov. 15: Dance video entries (20 seconds max.) due by NOON to email@example.com
- Nov. 17: 2nd Annual JYJ Foundation Dance-a-Thon, 5:30-7:30 p.m. (food trucks will start serving at 5 p.m.)
- Nov. 30: Yearbook cover designs due
- Dec. 2: Early release
- Dec. 5-9: JYJ Book Fair
- Dec. 5-9: Hour of Code