Calling all fifth-grade parents! Have questions about middle school magnets? Find magnet school options for your address here and check out the Magnet and Early College Schools Fair to explore all the magnet options throughout Wake County: Nov. 4 from 9 a.m. to noon at Southeast Raleigh Magnet High School (2600 Rock Quarry Road, Raleigh 27610).
Joyner Spirit Week
The Joyner faculty and staff invite all students to join in Spirit Week this week! Here’s the schedule for today and the rest of the week:
- Wacky Tacky Wednesday: Mismatch, outrageous, different patterns, etc.
- Pajama Party Thursday: Wear pjs, robe, slippers, etc.
- Joyner Pride Friday: Wear your Joyner t-shirt or school colors
- Halloween Monday (10/30): Wear Halloween colors
Joyner Spirit Wear Coming Home Friday
And speaking of Joyner Spirit… Jagwear will be coming home by Friday. Please check your items to make sure you have everything you ordered and the correct sizes. If there is any problem with your order, please let Ameshia Turlington know by Monday, Oct. 30 at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Access to 3D Printer Needed
The kindergarten teachers are looking for a parent who has access to a 3D printer and filament to create a few items for an upcoming class project. If you are able to connect them to a 3D printer, please email Stefanie Piner at email@example.com.
Backpack Buddies Meets Fundraising Goal
Joyner’s Backpack Buddies program has met its fundraising goal for the year with the help of many generous Joyner families — and one determined third grader. A big shout-out to Lily Johnson in Ms. Hampshire’s class, who brought in $283 for the program selling her homemade cupcakes as part of the third graders’ Joyner Community Service Project. Her donation tipped us over! Thanks to ALL who contributed and to our fabulous Backpack Buddies PTA Committee. Volunteers are now working hard to get backpacks packed and sent home with 25 Joyner children each Friday.
Backpack Buddies, administered through the Interfaith Food Shuttle, provides nutritious food on the weekends to Joyner students in need. Providing students with better nutrition means they are better able to focus at school, with improved learning and behavior. Contact our Joyner volunteers Ele Roberts at (919) 649-6600 or Lynn Ashby at (919) 815-3085 if you’re interested in helping with the program.
Study Buddy Volunteers Needed
Marbles Family Fun Night Spooktacular!
Get in the Halloween spirit at Marbles for Family Fun Night “Spooktacular” — a special night for special needs students TONIGHT, Oct. 25, 5:30-8:00. Celebrate Halloween with boo bubbles, splotch monster art, ooey-gooey pumpkin science and bat bungees. Come to Marbles for this after-hours event for children with special needs that offers the opportunity to experience the museum in a calmer, quieter environment. This event is free and exclusively for kids with special needs and their families. Event Partners will have information booths set up and include WCPSS Office of Early Learning, Advocates for Inclusive Education (AFIE), Autism Society of NC (ASNC), Triangle Down Syndrome Network, Exceptional Children’s Assistance Center (ECAC), Duke Center for Autism, and others.
During October, Wake County Public Schools acknowledges Disability History and Awareness Month. We will be sharing links and resources to promote awareness and acceptance of unique abilities each week of October. Click here to join JY Joyner’s new special education hub.
- Principal’s Weekly Message
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Oct. 31: Teacher workday (no school)
- Nov. 6: Special Education Open House, 5:30-8 pm, Martin Middle School
- Nov. 9: Science-Go-Round
- Nov. 10: Holiday (no school)
- Nov. 16: JY Joyner Foundation Dance-a-Thon
- Nov. 21: Early release
- Nov. 22: Teacher workday (no school)
- Nov. 23-24: Holiday (no school)
- Dec. 1: Classroom spelling bees
- Dec. 4-8: Book Fair and Hour of Code
- Dec. 5: Kendra Scott Gives Back Event, 4:30-7:30 pm, North Hills Shopping Center
- Dec. 7: Picture re-takes
- Dec. 7: Holiday concert and PTA general membership meeting
- Dec 13: Holiday event for staff provided by PTA
- Dec. 21: Early release
- Dec. 22: Winter holiday begins
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.