IB Learner Profile Trait for November: Principled Learners act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. We take responsibility for our own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Thanks & Giving
- Joyner Foundation: Shopping with a Purpose
- Book Fair, Dec. 9-13th; Opportunities to Shop, Volunteer & Donate!
- Holiday Giving Opportunities
- Study Buddies Program
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Thanks to all our JYJ Family! As we head our different ways to gather with friends and family and to gobble some turkey and pumpkin pie, we’d like to take a moment to give thanks for our JYJ Family!We are truly grateful for our talented and dedicated teachers, administrators, staff, parents and students that make Joyner the warm, welcoming and wonderful place it is. Along with your thanks, there is still time to give to our PTA No-Fuss Fundraiser. From artists the PTA brings to work with our students, to school beautification projects and teacher appreciation – the PTA is a cornerstone of what makes Joyner such an amazing and enriching educational environment for our children. Click here to donate today. Wishing you all a Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for being part of our wonderful JYJ family!
Joyner Foundation: Shopping with a Purpose
Join us for a special shopping event at Swagger Boutique (Quail Corners Shopping Center) on December 4th from 5:00-8:00pm. Mandy Becker, a Joyner parent and owner of Swagger, has graciously offered to give everyone 10% off your entire purchase, and Swagger will also donate 10% of all sales to the Joyner Foundation.
And not to be missed…
Holiday favorite Dewey’s Bakery is coming to Joyner! Look out for a Dewey’s order form in your child’s backpack next week. If you would like to purchase items, just fill out the form and return it along with payment to your child’s teacher by December 13th. Then you may pick up the items you ordered on December 18th at school. Dewey’s is donating 50% of the total we spend back to the Joyner Foundation!
Love Kids? Love Books? We have something just for you! Mark your calendars … Joyner’s Annual Book Fair is Dec. 9-13th! There are multiple ways to support our school and get involved: 1.Shop with us. Book Fair will be open Mon 12/9-Thurs 12/12 from 7:30-4:00, Fri. 12/13 from 7:30-1:00. 2. Volunteer. Click here to explore volunteer opportunities and find a shift that fits your schedule and interests. We need lots of hands to make this fundraiser a success! 3. Send in your spare change to our “One for All and All for Books!” campaign. There are buckets in the library and all money raised will be used to make sure that every child has the chance to shop our book fair. Look for yellow fliers and ziplock baggies from your child or just send them in with their money! Support literacy and support our school! All proceeds from our book fair directly support our media center. Thank you for supporting our JYJ family!
Giving Opportunities this Holiday Season
Consider these meaningful opportunities to give this holiday season. A great way for families to come together for those in need.
Snowman Tree: A tradition of JYJ returns to help our families in need. Those interested will take a number off the snowman tree located in the front office. When taking a number, you must fill out the bottom portion and return to one of our school counselors (Andrea Burston, Taylor Hartline, Brian Phillips or Elizabeth Ferriter) so we may use this information to keep track of returned gifts. Return all wrapped gifts in a bag along with the tag number by Wednesday, December 4th.
Note in the Pocket: JYJ will be collecting new socks and travel sized toiletries (toothpaste, soap, shampoo/conditioner, etc) to donate to Note in the Pocket. This organization provides clothing and essentials to children enrolled in WCPSS schools who are in need. Bins will be located at the front entrance where donations may be placed.
Thanks for your incredible support and generosity in serving our community!
Study Buddies – Share a few minutes each week with a student
JYJ is looking for volunteers for our Study Buddy program.
- Commitment is 15-20 minutes per child per week.
- Interested individuals must be registered with WCPSS as a volunteer.
- Teachers will have materials and subject matter each week for you to work on with your student(s).
- Students LOVE this time and look forward to it each week. Volunteers love it as much as the students!
If you or someone you know is interested in getting involved with this great program, please contact Alison Bentley (Study Buddies Chair).
- Nov. 27-29: School Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
- Dec. 9-14: Book Fair (Mon-Thurs 7:30-4; Fri. 7:30-1)
- Dec. 4: Snowman Tree Donations Due
- Dec. 4: Joyner Foundation Shopping Event, Swaggers Boutique, 5-8 p.m.
- Dec. 12: Spelling Bee
- Dec. 20: School in session (Weather make-up day)
- Dec. 23-Jan. 3 – Holiday Break, School Closed
- Jan. 31: PTA General Meeting 7:30 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 31: Principal’s Coffee 8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.