IB Learner Profile Trait for January: Inquirers
We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life. I am curious and like to ask questions in order to learn more.
Safety and Transportation Reminder
JYJ would like to remind everyone not to enter the bus pick up area before 3:30 to allow our buses to have clear and safe entrance into the school loop. We appreciate your cooperation.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Spelling Bee
- Spirit Night at Triangle Rock Club
- Reserve the JYJ Spirit Rock
- Girls on the Run 2020, Registration Open
- TEK Clubs
- Triangle Chess Tournament
- Summer Camp Preview
- Calendar of Events
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Come support JYJ’s Spelling Bee this Thursday at 3:30! In December each 3rd, 4th and 5th grade class hosted a classroom Spelling Bee. Joyner is excited to remind everyone that the top two spellers from the 3rd, 4th and 5th grade classroom Spelling Bees will compete in the annual JYJ Spelling Bee this THURSDAY, January 16 beginning at 3:30 pm in the JYJ gym. Please join us to cheer on these kids as they spell their hearts out! Everyone is welcome!
Spirit Night at Triangle Rock Club
Make plans to spend your evening on Sunday, January 26th from 6:00 – 8:00pm at Triangle Rock Club while supporting Joyner! The indoor climbing center is the perfect place to expand your horizons, stretch your limits and build your confidence…not to mention, it’s something the entire family can enjoy. Click here to register and fill out your waiver. The registration deadline is January 22nd. The cost is $15 per climber, and the Triangle Rock Club is donating 75% of that back to the Joyner Foundation. We hope to see you there!JYJ Spirit Rock There are still some openings to paint the rock this month! Sign up to spread positive messages, encourage students, thank a staff member, or celebrate a birthday on the Rock. Click here to reserve a day and rent the Spirit Rock (or go to the Signups page on the JY Joyner Memberhub).
Girls on the Run (GOTR) Spring 2020, Registration OPEN
Girls on the Run is an afterschool program like no other! Twice per week for 10 weeks, girls will have fun, make friends, increase their physical activity levels and learn important life skills. Our trained and caring coaches (Ms. Wilcox, Ms. Burston and Meredith Everett) will lead interested 3rd – 5th grade girls through interactive lessons and running activities. The spring team will practice at the school on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3:15 – 4:30.
- Week of February 4 – April 25
- Spring 5k will be on April 25 at Research Commons Place (details forthcoming).
Registration info available at: https://www.raceplanner.com/register/index/QBMAZ0TI61DW5GYPlease email Shanna Schroeder if you have any questions.
TEK Clubs Coming Soon!
Winter 2020 Joyner TEK Clubs will be held Wednesdays beginning February 12 and will run through March 18th from 3:30-4:45. TEK supervises students prior to clubs starting.
The following sessions will be offered:
- Move It! Groove It! – Fun with STEAM, Grades K-1 with Stefanie Piner
- Winter Wonders Book Club, Grades K-1 with Amy Forbes
- Lego Creators, Grades 1-3 with Emily Dawson
- Crafty Creators- Multicultural Arts and Crafts,Grades 1-5 with Christina Bell
- The Grub Club-Exciting Food Creations, Grades 2-5 with Jakala Wilson and Fran Cameron
- STEM Challenges, Grades 2-5 with Sheryl Davis
- Game On!, Grades 3-5 with Niki Fulton and ?Madelyn Bruckel
Registration will be held on Wed. Jan. 22nd in the JYJ Media Center from 8-8:30 a.m. Contact Duval Fisher with questions or for more information.
Triangle Chess Tournament
The next JYJ Chess Club doesn’t begin until March, but JYJ students have a chance to participate in the Triangle Chess Tournament on January 19th at the Raleigh Convention Center! We need at least 4 students to register to create a JYJ Team.
Registration is $30 if completed before January 17th. Come out for lots of prizes and fun! For more information check out the flyer online. Questions? Contact Carson Smith. To register for the event visit TriangleChess.com.
Summer Camps to Consider
Many families are already considering their plans for summer and several of our teachers and staff offer great summer camp options to consider. In the coming weeks, we’ll be providing more details on these options through MemberHub. Camp Options currently open for registration:
- First Grade Refresher (Rising First Graders) July 20-July 24, led by Kate Johnson (4th grade)
- Kindergarten Readiness (Rising K) August 3- August 7, led by Kate Johnston (4th grade)
*Both camps are 1/2 day held at Hayes Barton Baptist Church. Anyone interested may contact me via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone: 919-757-4892. Also click here to access the flyer for more details. These camps are open to the public – please share with others you know who may have interest.
Stay tuned as we continue to share more available options…
- Jan. 16: School Spelling Bee, 3:30 p.m., Gym
- Jan. 20: Martin Luther King Jr. Day – School Closed
- Jan. 22: TEK Club Registration, 8:00-8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 26: Spirit Night at Triangle Rock Club, 6-8 p.m.
- Jan. 29: Teacher Workday – School Closed
- Jan. 31: PTA General Meeting 8:00 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 31: Principal’s Coffee 8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.