*Reminder that today, Wednesday, 12/2 is an asynchronous day for all students. No students should report to campus on Wednesday.
December Profile Trait: Open – Minded
We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
December is the perfect month to have open conversations with friends about their traditions and culture. Allow them the opportunity to grow and understand themselves and find similarities and differences by being open-minded. Share cultural and personal values and traditions in class and at home.
In this Week’s NewsFlash:
- Joyner Goes Pink
- JYJ Book Fair starts this Friday
- School Book Fairy
- Joyner Snowman Tree – Return items by 12/7
- Before and After School Care Now Available
- WCPSS announces wellness, self-care services and support sessions for parents
- Link your Shopping and support Joyner
- Dates to Remember
Joyner Goes “Pink”
This Friday, Dec. 4th Joyner will go “Pink” to raise awareness of those who have fought or are fighting cancer. Collectively WCPSS can make a huge impact on this world and the health of others. If you would like to make a contribution, click here to learn more.
Tag us on Twitter or instagram @joyner_magnet_elementary with your family’s picture #JYJGoesPink #JoynerSTRONG
2020 Joyner Book Fair Online and In-Store with Quail Ridge Books The Joyner Book Fair is coming THIS FRIDAY (12/4) and with a new partner: Quail Ridge Books! We hope to see lots of Joyner families in-store or shopping online with Quail Ridge! Make sure to mention the “Joyner Elementary Book Fair” at the register when you shop in-store or in your order comments when you shop online.
- When: December 4-13
- Where: Shop Online or in-Store at Quail Ridge Books, 4209-100 Lassiter Mill Road in North Hills, Raleigh
- Who can participate: All JYJ Students, Staff, Families, Extended Families, Friends, Neighbors, etc. Spread the word!
- How you help Joyner: Mention “Joyner Elementary School Book Fair” when you shop online and in-store Dec. 4-13
- Why: To raise money for the Joyner PTA and support our many great programs!
View our digital flyer here or reach out to Leslie de Haven (contact info in email) with any questions.
Joyner School Book Fairy
Greetings JYJ Families! Please consider donating $5 to the Joyner Elementary School Book Fairy. Each $5 donation will buy a book for a Joyner child in need, selected by the staff at Quail Ridge Books. The Book Fairy donations will be accepted now through December 13th. Thank you to those families who have already donated!
To donate, please follow these steps:
- Visit the Joyner Elementary Book Fairy Wish List at: https://www.quailridgebooks.com/wishlist/1239
- Click “Add to Cart” to make a $5 Book Fairy donation.
- At Checkout, in the last section, for “Order Comments” put “Book Fairy Donation for Joyner Elementary School”.
4. Click “Review Order”
5. Complete your purchase!
Reach out with questions, thank you! Leslie de Haven (contact info in email).
Snowman tree gifts due Monday 12/07
Thanks to all who generously signed up to give to our Snowman Tree! As a reminder, return all wrapped gifts (in a bag) and write your virtual tag number on the bag by Monday, December 7th. Gifts can be dropped off on the table near the front entrance, in carpool or at walkers. Contact Andrea Burston with questions (contact info in email). Thank you for all your support!
Before and After School Care Programs are Back!
Both programs will run Monday through Friday when students are in the building. Students may arrive for Before School Care at 7:00 AM. After School Care runs from the end of school until 6:00 PM.
If you would like to sign up for Before and/or After School Care visit the link below. This program will follow the same safety protocols as our WCPSS guidelines.
WCPSS Counseling and Student Services is introducing a new series of wellness, self-care services and support sessions for parents –Community Resiliency Model (CRM) training (12/01-12/15)This session is designed to share tools you can learn to help yourself and others during times of stress. This session is inclusive to all whom have an interest in learning the skills to better support children and families during these uncertain times. –Restorative Practice (RP) Circle Awareness Community Building (12/01-12/15)This opportunity is designed to expose you to one of the tools of Restorative Practices, the Circle Process. The Circle is a facilitated dialogue process that is INVITATIONAL. It allows participants to share openly and encourages connections and deepening relationships. This training is inclusive to all who have an interest in learning ways to better support children and families during these uncertain times through authentic connections. –Virtual Parent Summit (12/02-12/09)
We are pleased to be working with the National Center for Youth Issues to provide WCPSS parents with a special series of live, one-hour chat sessions with national level experts to discuss the challenges and opportunities of virtual learning, and to offer strategies, solutions, and encouragement to help our students and their families thrive during these most unusual of times.
JYJ can benefit from your holiday shopping!
Did you know that by shopping at Amazon, Shutterfly, and Harris Teeter, you can support the PTA? For every purchase you make, those corporations donate a percentage directly to Joyner PTA. It requires minimal setup from you, and Joyner benefits!
Use the links below to connect your purchases to Joyner:
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account– Amazon donates 0.5% of purchases to Joyner.
- Harris Teeter– VIC card link (number 1988) – When you shop Harris Teeter brands, a percentage of your purchase is donated to the school that your VIC card is linked to.
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account– Shutterfly donates 8% of purchases to Joyner.
Every dollar matters even more this year, so please participate!
- Dec. 2 – Remote Learning Day (Asynchronous)
- Dec. 2 – Second Semester Virtual Academy Application Window Opens
- Dec. 4-13 – JYJ Book Fair; Online and in-store options at Quail Ridge Books
- Dec. 7 – Deadline to return Snowman Tree Gifts
- Dec. 11 – Remote Learning Day (Asynchronous)
- Dec. 16 – Remote Learning Day (Asynchronous)
- Dec. 21 – Jan 1st – Winter Break
Important Links & Reminders