Joyner students who are not enrolled in Virtual Academy will return for in-person instruction on Wed. 2/17. (Mon 2/15 and Tuesday 2/16 are non-instructional days).
- Pre-K and ECS students will return to DAILY in-person instruction on 2/17
- 4th and 5th grade students will continue on three cohort rotations. The week of February 15th will begin our Cohort 2 rotation week.
- 4th and 5th Grade Families- Your teacher will communicate which cohort rotation your student is in by the close of Monday.
- WCPSS Instructional Calendar
In this Week’s NewsFlash:
- Return to Campus Protocols
- Cultural Arts Presentation
- Celebrating Black History Month
- Parent Support & IB Parent Survey
- Before and After School Care Registration
- WAKE Up & Read Book Drive
- Today is Deadline for ordering Hot Cocoa Bombs from Magnolia Collective
- Foundation’s Silent Auction
- Calendar Reminders (Save the Date: JYJ Virtual 5K is May 1st, stay tuned!)
Review our return to campus guidelines. (Second Semester Plan B Procedures) This is particularly important for students who will be attending for the first time this year.
Screening: All students will undergo screenings prior to entering the building. You should review the screening guidelines carefully. (Health Screening Guidelines Link) Do not send your child to school if they show any signs of illness. If a child demonstrates signs of an illness while on campus, their sibling will also be sent home by WCPSS guidelines.
Face Coverings: All students are required to wear face coverings when on campus unless they are eating or drinking. Practice this with your child this week so that they are comfortable with wearing a face covering for a full school day. Frequently asked questions about face coverings.
WCPSS Return to Campus Checklist
Cultural Arts Presentation
We are excited to announce this week our JYJ students will be able to attend a virtual cultural arts presentation by the dynamic storytelling artist, Donna Washington. See the links below for your child’s grade level presentation. Each presentation should last about an hour. Access only your grade level’s link on the dates listed below as each presentation is a set of 3 different stories specific to K-2 and 3-5 grades. We look forward to seeing you this week!
|Kindergarten||Second Grade||Third Grade||Fourth Grade|
|Wednesday 10-11 amMeet Link||Wednesday 2-3 pmMeet Link||Friday 1-2 pmMeet Link||Friday 2-3 pmMeeting Link|
*1st and 5th grade presentations were previously conducted on Monday and Tuesday.
February is Black History Month
Black History Month is the celebration of African American history, contributions and achievements that’s recognized annually across the United States and Canada. This month we will be honoring the importance of black history, highlighting impactful individuals and examining African American culture in classroom activities. We are excited as an IB community to build a stronger world of awareness and cultural understanding of ourselves and others.
**********IB Learner Profile Trait for February: Balanced
We understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live.How do you balance everything in your life? At home? At school? In the community?
Parent Support & IB Parent Survey
Tips to help your child(ren) transition back to in-person learning. Questions & Answers with the Joyner Student Support Team.
3-5 Parents: Join code – (Meeting info in email)
- Session #1 Thurs 2/11 at 8:30am
- Session #2 Thurs 2/11 at 12:30pm
*K-2 sessions were previously conducted on Tuesday 9th
IB Parent Survey As an IB PYP school, we are always looking for areas of growth and improvement. Complete the survey below about your experiences as a parent in our IB community. Thank you in advance. Click here to access the survey: IB Parent Survey
Before and After School Care Program Information
Both programs will run Monday through Friday when students are in the building. Students may arrive for Before School Care at 7:00 AM. After School Care runs from the end of school until 6:00 PM.
If you would like to sign up for Before and/or After School Care visit the link below. This program will follow the same safety protocols as our WCPSS guidelines.
Link to Joyner Before and After School Care.
WAKE Up and Read Book Drive
Thank you to all of our families for such an amazing contribution to our WAKE Up And Read Book Drive! Each year Joyner makes one of the largest contributions to putting priceless literature in children’s hands across Wake County. We are excited to take action as a school family and give back to others in our local community.
Current Totals are as follows:
- K-2: 455 books
- 3-5: 393 books
Families can tag us @joyner_magnet_elementary on our Instagram, Twitter or Facebook page.
WAKE Up and Read Book Drive will go until February 28th.
Hot Cocoa Bombs from Magnolia Collective: We’ve teamed up with Magnolia Collective to offer some yummy Hot Cocoa Bombs! Click here to order yours directly from their website to be ready just in time for your special Valentine or just a sweet treat for your teachers, friends or family! Ordering runs through Wed. 2/10 at 5 p.m. Everything will be ready on Fri 2/12.
Hot Cocoa Bombs are $4 each and come in a variety of flavors (Peppermint, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate, Marshmallow, Thin Mint, Cookies & Cream, Cinnamon, Dark Chocolate Espresso) and a portion of each sale will be donated back to the Joyner Foundation!
Joyner Foundation’s Annual Silent Auction is set for Thursday, April 22, 2021!
Silent Auction Themed Baskets: We are still collecting items for our Themed Baskets to be raffled off as part of the Silent Auction. Signups and details on the items for each Themed Basket can be found in the JY Joyner Memberhub and under Signups or through the links below:
- Movie Night Basket
- Kids Fun Basket
- Dad’s Day Out Basket
- Mom’s Day Out Basket
- Foodie Basket
- Parents Night Out Basket
Click to find our Amazon Wishlist: JYJ Foundation Silent Auction Basket.
Venmo donations can be sent to @Katie-Cork – remember to include with all Venmo donations the selected Themed Basket and item you wish to donate towards (refer to the basket signups linked below and in the JY Joyner Memberhub for specific items) or just note “General Basket Donation” and we will fill in the gaps! Questions? Contact Katie Cork (contact info in email).
Foundation Quick Links:
- JYJ Foundation website: http://joynerfoundation.org/index.htm
- Calling All JYJ Owned Businesses: https://forms.gle/HifmLdzVm2BUgRgX6
- JYJ Foundation Video: https://youtu.be/0OGs7IOo2cY
- Spirit Rock sign up: https://jyj.memberhub.com/HSR6192I26881
- Amazon SMILE: smile.amazon.com (enter “J Y Joyner Foundation”)
Virtual Joyner 5K
Dust off those running shoes, it’s time for the Virtual Joyner 5K! Mark your calendars for May 1st for a fun and socially-distanced run/walk to support the Joyner PTA. Be on the lookout for more information, including registration, very soon!
- February 10- Kindergarten Cultural Arts Presentation 10-11 a.m.
- February 10- 2nd Grade Cultural Arts Presentation 2- 3 p.m.
- February 11- 3-5 Parent Session- 8:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m.
- February 12- 1st Grade Valentine’s Day Pickup 11:30- 12:30p.m.(front of the school bus loop)
- February 12- 2nd Grade Valentine’s Day Pickup 11:30- 12:30 p.m. (overhang)
- February 12- 3rd Grade Cultural Arts Presentation 1-2 p.m.
- February 12- 4th Grade Cultural Arts Presentation 2- 3 p.m.
- February 15 – School Closed – President’s Day
- February 16 – Teacher Workday (No School for Students)
- February 17- In-person learning resumes (Pre-K-3rd Grade- All; Cohort rotations for 4th and 5th grade begin- Cohort 2 reports)
- February 24- Asynchronous Day
- March 10- Asynchronous Day
- March 11- Asynchronous Day
- March 12 – Teacher Workday
- April 14- Asynchronous Day
- May 1 – JYJ Virtual 5K (Stay tuned for details to come)
- May 5- Asynchronous Day
- May 26- Asynchronous Day