Give spelling bee a chance
Cymotrichous. Autochthonous. Prospicience. Logorrhea. We were so busy looking up all these crazy hard words that we almost missed scheduling this year’s spelling bee! Sorry for the delay, but get ready to ask for a definition, part of speech or use in a sentence. Check your Wednesday folders this afternoon for a list of practice words and get ready for classroom bees in 3rd-5th grades on Friday, Dec. 11 — everyone is invited to dress in your finest bee (or otherwise black-and-yellow) attire in support of the spelling bee that day. The schoolwide bee will be held on Jan. 14.
Give gifts and cheer
If you got a tag from the snowman tree, don’t forget to bring your gifts back to school by Monday, Dec. 7 — return them wrapped and with the tag to Ms. Burston (email@example.com ). If you didn’t get a tag, here are other ways you can help:
- Feed the bins in the front lobby with new children’s socks for A Note in the Pocket and men’s/women’s deodorant for the Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN).
- Donate gift cards from Kroger, Harris Teeter, Target and Walmart — Ms. Burston will collect them for families in need.
- Bring in new packages of boys or girls underwear in smaller sizes or black girls leggings to keep in the health room in case of student accidents.
Give time and books
The annual PTA book fair runs all next week — with extra hours before school on Wednesday and after school on Thursday — and we need lots of volunteers to help this important event run smoothly. Sign up here for one-hour blocks of time to set up the fair, work the registers, help kids and parents find books, and clean up at the end. For more information, contact co-chairs Laura Moreschi at firstname.lastname@example.org or Catherine Otto at email@example.com.
Give an hour of code
The signup is ready for Joyner’s week with Hour of Code. Teachers will be running sessions to help connect kids with coding, but we need volunteers to help out — no coding experience needed! Please consider helping your child’s class, or more than one class session if you have the time. Sign up here. Contact Matt Harrell at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- December lunch menu
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Dec. 7: Snowman Tree gifts due
- Dec. 7-11: Book Fair
- Dec. 7-11: Hour of Code
- Dec. 10: Holiday concert and PTA general membership meeting
- Dec. 18: Early release and teacher/staff appreciation lunch provided by PTA
- Dec. 21: Teacher workday (and beginning of the winter holiday)