These last two weeks before winter break are packed, so we’re moving the NewsFlash from Wednesdays to Mondays to be sure we get you the news when you need it most. Hold on tight!
Book Fair opens today
The annual PTA book fair runs all week in the media center, with extra hours before school on Wednesday and after school on Thursday. Be sure to stop by and shop! There are still volunteer openings for one-hour shifts, especially on Thursday — sign up here to help this important event run smoothly. For more information, contact co-chairs Laura Moreschi at firstname.lastname@example.org or Catherine Otto at email@example.com.
Join us at the PTA meeting and concert
Our general PTA membership meeting is this Thursday, Dec. 10, starting at 6 p.m., in conjunction with the 1st grade winter performance and choir concert. Join us in the gym to learn more about what your PTA is doing this year and how you can get involved. Attending the meeting does not automatically commit you to chairing a major PTA event, but it does help support your students and the Joyner family. (If your child isn’t performing, you’re not obligated to stay until 7:30 — and the parents who are angling for a better view to record the performance will be happy to take your seat.)
Geek out with Hour of Code
Joyner students are participating in this week’s Hour of Code, learning age-appropriate coding skills. Volunteer spots are still available in all grade levels — sign up here to help out the teachers during their sessions. Contact Matt Harrell at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Donate to help animal shelter
Joyner’s Girls on the Run team is collecting old blankets and towels as well as dog food, canned pet food, treats, food/water bowls and pet toys to donate to the Wake County Animal Shelter. Bring your donations to the collection bins around the school through Thursday, Dec. 10. Contact Elizabeth Bunn at 919-622-8700 or email@example.com with questions.
Get ready for the Bee
Classroom spelling bees will be held in 3rd-5th grades this Friday, Dec. 11. The whole school is encouraged to dress in your best bee (or otherwise black-and-yellow) attire in support of the spelling bee that day. The schoolwide bee will be held on Jan. 14.
You already sent in your gifts, right?
Snowman tree gifts are due (wrapped with the tag) to Ms. Burston (firstname.lastname@example.org ) today! If you didn’t get a tag, here are other ways you can help:
- Feed the bins in the front lobby with new children’s socks for A Note in the Pocket and men’s/women’s deodorant for the Wake Interfaith Hospitality Network (WIHN).
- Donate gift cards from Kroger, Harris Teeter, Target and Walmart — Ms. Burston will collect them for families in need.
- Bring in new packages of boys or girls underwear in smaller sizes or black girls leggings to keep in the health room in case of student accidents.
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- December lunch menu
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Dec. 7-11: Book Fair
- Dec. 7-11: Hour of Code
- Dec. 9: Spanish dancing performances for participating students (K-2 at 9, 3-5 at 10)
- Dec. 10: 6-7:30 p.m. PTA general membership meeting and holiday concert
- Dec. 18: Early release and teacher/staff appreciation lunch provided by PTA
- Dec. 21: Teacher workday (and beginning of the winter holiday)
- Jan. 4: Back to school!
- Jan. 15: Early release and teacher/staff appreciation (“Things that get you moving”)
- March 6: JYJ 5K