Fitness and Science teams to compete on Saturday
Best wishes to our First in Fitness students competing tomorrow and our Science Olympiad teams competing this Saturday! And a special thanks to Mr. Poyer and Mrs. Pelletier for all their efforts to coach the Joyner teams and provide students with these exciting opportunities!
Sign up to build a learning garden
Thanks to a grant from Whole Kids Foundation, Ms. Mbalia invites the Joyner community to help turn the space behind the office into a learning garden. On Saturday, April 9, from 9 a.m. to noon, we’ll need volunteers to donate time, tools and water — Whole Foods will be providing breakfast and snack items for volunteers! Click this link for the sign-up.
In order to flip the patio, the main area will become a veggie garden, the old sand/water tables will be turned into herb gardens and sunflowers will be planted in the circular plot. The long-term plan is to convert all the sections in the patio area into garden spaces. With Joyner’s IB connection of “Sharing Our Planet,” students will use the garden as an outdoor classroom. For example, kindergarten might study how the garden helps both animals and people.
Extension on yearbook ordering
Okay, because you asked so nicely, the yearbook committee has extended the ordering deadline to Wednesday, March 23. Don’t delay — order books for your children today! Go to ybpay.lifetouch.com and use school code 10746716 to order online — there are also order forms in the front office.
Last week to order artwork gifts
Choose personalized gifts with your child’s artwork to wear and share! Artwork and ordering instructions came home in student folders for this year’s Original Works school fundraiser. Choose among lots of great products featuring your child’s very own artwork. Orders and payment are due no later than Wednesday, March 23. Fill out the forms and send them in to your child’s teacher.
Donation requests for Raleigh Rescue Mission
A group of 5th grade students is collecting items for Raleigh Rescue Mission to benefit the homeless as part of the students’ exhibition project. They invite all Joyner students and their families to help by donating any of the following items:
- Kindergarten: underwear and socks
- 1st grade: travel-sized toothpaste, deodorant and lotion
- 2nd grade: paper towels and toilet paper
- 3rd grade: canned veggies, canned beans and canned fruit
- 4th grade: ethnic hair products, hair brushes and hair combs
- 5th grade: gift cards to discount stores
Collection boxes are available until March 22 in each grade level hallway and in the lobby. The team thanks you for your generosity and for helping the homeless people in our community.
Wake PAGE event open for registration
The Wake County PAGE (Partners for the Advancement of Gifted Education) program is holding a Super Saturday event at Meredith College on April 9. Click here for details and registration link. If you do not already have a PAGE membership, please be aware that you will need to purchase one.
Like date night, except different
Don’t forget to mark your calendar for April 7 to join your JYJ friends at the North Hills Chick-fil-A for dine-out night! It will be the week after spring break, so we’ll all need a break from cooking by then anyway.
Upcoming events from the JY Joyner Foundation
The JY Joyner Foundation is promoting two events in April. Funds raised through the Foundation — which is separate from the PTA — will be used to attract and retain talented educators and enhance the IB program at Joyner.
- Bring the family to Piola and Lily Rain in North Hills on April 14 for dinner and shopping and support the JY Joyner Foundation! Piola is hosting a family-style spaghetti dinner on April 14 from 4-9 p.m. and will donate 20% of sales to the JY Joyner Foundation. Piola is also offering a discount on bottles of wine for friends of JYJ that night. Reservations are strongly encouraged, but not required. Reserve your spot here! Lily Rain is also donating 20% of all sales on April 14 to the JY Joyner Foundation. Lily Rain, open from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m., is the perfect place to buy women’s clothing, jewelry and accessories for the Foundation Gala. Please remember to mention that you are with JYJ at both Piola and Lily Rain so that 20% of your purchase goes towards the JYJ Foundation.
- The JY Joyner Spring Gala will be held on Thursday, April 21! Click here to purchase tickets. If you are planning to donate and you would like to be recognized, the time is NOW! The donor deadline for print materials is Monday, April 4. To ensure that you’re included, please click here and make your donation today. Please contact Ashley Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-349-4177 with any questions.
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- March lunch menu
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- March 19: Science Olympiad tournament
- March 23: Original Artwork and yearbook orders due
- March 24: School day (snow make-up day)
- March 25-April 1: Spring break
- April 7: Dine-out night at North Hills Chick-fil-A
- April 9: Garden Mob Day at Joyner from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m.
- April 14: Foundation fundraisers at Piola and Lily Rain
- April 21: JY Joyner Foundation Gala, 7 p.m. at the Merrimon-Wynne House