Kindergarten orientation today
Our kindergarten orientation will be held TODAY at 8:30 a.m. Parents should bring your rising K student with you to attend — the current kindergartners will present a welcome program and your student will get to spend time with the kindergarten teachers while you learn more about being a Joyner family.
Final dine-out night next month
Please join Joyner families for fellowship and fundraising at Pei Wei Restaurant (4408 Falls of Neuse Rd, Raleigh) on Thursday, June 2, 2016, from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Joyner PTA will receive a percentage of proceeds for all meals purchased on that day (take out or dine in). This is a great chance to bring your family out to dinner with Joyner friends as the school year is coming to a close!
Turn Box Tops into cash for PTA
It’s time for our final Box Top collection of the school year! Clip all those tiny little Box Tops and send them in to your child’s teacher — the class that collects the most gets a pizza party. Collection runs May 16-20.
Share your thoughts on math standards
Parents, educators and interested citizens are invited to provide feedback regarding proposed revisions to the North Carolina content standards for high school math courses Math 1, 2 and 3 via an online survey. The survey will be available through May 20. NC Department of Public Instruction staff review the state’s Standard Course of Study on a five-year cycle per subject, and mathematics is currently under review. As proposed, the changes could go into effect as early as this fall if the State Board approves the changes at its June meeting. The K-12 English/Language Arts Standards revision process will proceed this summer with the K-8 mathematics standards and fourth level high school mathematics standards revision process proceeding in the fall. Click here for more details.
Show off your PTA membership
Let us see your PTA pride by joining us for the final PTA membership meeting of the 2016 school year — May 19 at 6:30 p.m. in the gym. We’ll share highlights from this year and vote on the proposed budget and PTA officers for next year, so we need all your voices in attendance.
Have a 4th grader? You’re in luck!
Did you know that the federal Every Kid in a Park initiative allows 4th graders nationwide to obtain a pass for free entry for them and their families to more than 2,000 federally managed lands and waters nationwide for an entire year? The second year of this annual program begins Sept. 1. To find out how to get a pass or for more information to help plan trips, check out the Every Kid in a Park website.
Connecting new JYJ families
Know a new family coming to Joyner next year? Let them know they can sign up to join our MemberHub at http://bit.ly/JYJmemberhub. For those who’ve just joined, welcome to the NewsFlash!
- Joyner PTA website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- May 11: Rising kindergarten orientation, 8:30 a.m.
- May 12: Spanish dancing evening for various classes and grades
- May 14: Letterland at Pullen Park, 10 a.m.-4 p.m.
- May 19: Kindergarten animal parade, 8:30 a.m.
- May 19: General PTA membership meeting at 6:30 followed by 6:45 music concert (2nd grade, 3rd grades and the Gold Choir)
- May 20: Field day and volunteer breakfast
- May 26-June 6: EOG testing and make-ups
- June 8: 5th grade celebration (pre-ceremony reception in cafeteria at 8:30, graduation in gym at 9 a.m.)
- June 9: Annual faculty vs. 5th grade kickball game, 9 a.m. at Kiwanis Park