Open House this Thursday
Looking forward to seeing you all at Open House tomorrow night. The first classroom session runs from 5-5:45 p.m. Parents are then invited to the PTA general meeting in the gym from 5:45-6:15, followed by the second classroom session from 6:15-7:00. During the classroom sessions, just head to your child’s classroom or grade level team area to hear from the teacher about what to expect this year. Only have one classroom teacher at Joyner? Then just attend either classroom session.
Join the PTA and give to the No-Fuss Fundraiser
While you’re at Open House tomorrow night, be sure to join the PTA and make your donation to the annual No-Fuss Fundraiser. We’ve already raised $10,000 thanks to your generosity — that’s great progress toward our goal of $25,000! Each year, your financial gifts help to fund…
- Promethean Boards and iPads purchased for classrooms
- Teacher grants for innovative classroom experiences
- Cultural arts and science programming during the school day
- Academic enrichment opportunities
- Schoolwide spirit and community events
- Student awards and recognitions
- Book sets for classroom use
- Wellness and athletic programs for students
- Facilities improvements like the outdoor stage and turf field
- Staff/teacher appreciation events throughout the year
Your membership shows your commitment to supporting teachers, staff and students at Joyner throughout the year — the greater our membership numbers, the stronger our voice at the school, district and state levels. And your financial donation makes the PTA’s programming and events possible for all students in every grade.
Want to join with other PTA volunteers to help make the magic happen? Fill out the Google form and a committee chair will follow up with you. We’re also looking for co-chairs for Science Go Round and the spelling bee — please let Catherine Otto know if you’re interested in helping with either role.
Don’t forget to…
- Stop by the media center tomorrow morning (Sept. 8) from 8-8:30 a.m. for the JYJ Foundation overview and volunteer sign-up session. Volunteers are needed to help with events from the annual gala to Dance-a-thon to pop-up fundraisers and tasks in support of these activities. Most activities already have leaders in place, but many just need people to handle a specific tasks. If you can’t stay for the entire meeting, just pop in and sign up!
- Turn in your child’s summer reading logs to his/her teacher or stick it in the box by the PTA office door (include your child’s first AND last name and the name of this year’s teacher) — deadline is Sept. 14 to participate in the celebration on Sept. 16!
- Stop by the media center to complete the WCPSS volunteer registration form — it’s quick, but required to do any type of volunteering at school (field trip chaperone, book & bite, etc.).
- Order your Jagwear by Sept. 30. Forms went home with your child last week and are available online. This sale ONLY happens once a year, so be sure to get what you need!
- Sign up to water the new landscaping around the school: https://memberhub.com/HSR6192I3748
- Sign up to help assemble picnic tables on Sept. 11 from 2-4 p.m.: https://memberhub.com/HSR6192I3746
After-school activities coming to Joyner
Looking to skip the carpool/walker pick-up line once a week? Two different outside groups offer after-school options this fall for Joyner students.
- Sports After School with Coach Scott offers a free trial first class for families new to the program. Coach Scott picks up the kids at Joyner in the walker hallway after school and escorts them down to Kiwanis Park for fun games, activities, nature walks and a variety of sports. The program is open to students in K-5 and runs every Tuesday starting Sept. 13. Cost is $15 per session or $60 per 4-week session. Pick up your child at 4:30 at Kiwanis Park. Contact Coach Scott at 336-963-4555 or email@example.com with questions or to register.
- Fall TEK Clubs offered by Tailored Enrichment Kids will run for six consecutive Wednesdays from Oct. 12 – Nov. 16 from 3:30-4:45 (TEK supervises students after school until clubs begin). Details about clubs, which are taught by JYJ teachers, will be available soon. Cost is $135. Contact TEK (Duval Fisher & Julie Sullivan) at firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com.
Early release means teacher appreciation at Joyner
In order to share our love for Joyner teachers and staff throughout the year, the Joyner PTA organizes teacher appreciation events on early release days. Because there are two early release days this month, we’ll be focusing on Sept. 30 — no need to gear up for anything this week. More details coming soon about plans for the year.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Sept. 8: JYJ Foundation volunteer sign-ups, 8 a.m. in the media center
- Sept. 8: Open House and PTA membership meeting, 5-7 p.m.
- Sept. 9: Early release, 12:30 p.m.
- Sept. 11: Picnic table assembly, 2 p.m.
- Sept. 29: School picture day
- Sept. 30: Early release and teacher appreciation
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.