Reading logs due today!
Your children probably already turned in their forms last week because we noticed how you’re totally on top of everything — but just in case, we’re reminding you that summer reading logs are due TODAY. Send them in to your classroom teacher or drop them in the box by the PTA office door (include your child’s first AND last name and the name of this year’s teacher). The celebration is this Friday, Sept. 16!
Give to the PTA to make the magic happen
If you’ve already joined the PTA and made your gift to the No-Fuss Fundraiser, THANK YOU! If you’re waiting for a personal invitation to make your donation, then consider this email especially customized for you. We’ve raised about $16,000 so far, which means we need another $9,000 to fully fund the PTA budget. Without your help, we won’t be able to provide funds for:
- Science Go Round
- Odyssey of the Mind
- Science Olympiad
- First in Fitness
- Visits from authors and performers
- Books for the media center and the book room
- Student awards and recognitions like JAG Publishing
- Teacher grants for innovative classroom experiences
- Staff/teacher appreciation events throughout the year
- Promethean Boards and iPads for classrooms
The list goes on and on. We can keep repeating it here each week — or you can go ahead and make your gift online (click the donate button) or send the form (English or Spanish) and check in to your child’s teacher today. And thank you in advance!
Volunteers make the world go round — but first you have to sign up
If you plan on volunteering in any way this year (and we know you want to!), you need to complete the WCPSS registration before Oct. 31. Just stop by the media center (or any WCPSS school) and fill out the online form — it’s really quick, especially if you’ve registered in years past. You must complete and be approved (which takes additional time) before being allowed to work alone with groups of Joyner children.
- Backpack Buddies needs five volunteers for about 30 minutes a month to stuff backpacks with donated food items. This is a great cause with flexible volunteer times. Please contact Leigh Wolitski at email@example.com for more information.
- We are still in need of volunteers to help with Science Go Round. Please contact Leigh Wolitski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Parent meetings for cool enrichment activities
Have a child interested in participating in Odyssey of the Mind or Science Olympiad this year? Parent meetings are coming up this week and next — details below. Joyner PTA is proud to help support both of these fun enrichment opportunities.
- Odyssey of the Mind (OM) parent meeting is Thursday, Sept. 15 (that’s TOMORROW), at 6 p.m. in the media center. Click here to learn more about OM. One of Joyner’s OM teams competed in the world championship last year — this year, it could be your team! Signup forms will be available at the meeting and parent volunteer coaches are needed. If you cannot attend the meeting but wish to learn more, please email email@example.com.
- Science Olympiad informational meeting is Tuesday, Sept. 20 (that’s next week), at 5 p.m. in the media center for parents and students interested in participating on the JYJ Science Olympiad team. Sign-up forms will be available at that time. If you cannot attend the meeting but wish to learn more please contact Ms. Pelletier at firstname.lastname@example.org. This year Science Club will be limited to those 3rd, 4th, and 5th graders who are committed to preparing and competing in NC Science Olympiad. Exploration sessions will be given without charge every Thursday after-school during the first semester only. Event coaches are needed during second semester to help prepare partners for competition. Our NC Science Olympiad tournament will be on Saturday, May 6, 2017, at Leesville Elementary School from 8 a.m.-3 p.m.
Only two more weeks to buy Jagwear!
Don’t miss this limited time offer! No, it’s not as-seen-on-TV — it’s Jagwear and it’s only available for order until Sept. 30. Forms are available online. This sale ONLY HAPPENS ONCE A YEAR, so be sure to get all the Joyner t-shirts, sweatshirts, hoodies and water bottles you need!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Sept. 15: Odyssey of the Mind parent meeting, 6 p.m., media center
- Sept. 20: Science Olympiad parent meeting, 5 p.m., media center
- Sept. 29: School picture day
- Sept. 30: Early release and teacher appreciation
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.