After a tough weekend and a bumpy start to the week, we hope that all our JYJ families are safe and able to come back to school! We know many are still without power, but we’re grateful to all who are helping with the clean-up at Joyner and schools across the county.
Tell us what you think
We at Joyner know that a strong partnership among our families, school leaders and community is important for the success of our students and school. That’s why we are participating in the National PTA School of Excellence program, which celebrates partnerships between PTAs and schools to enrich the educational experience and overall well-being for all students.
We need your help — but it doesn’t require volunteer time or money! As part of the process, National PTA requests feedback from families at two points in the school year – the beginning and end. Your feedback in the beginning of the program will help to generate a customized Roadmap to Excellence, which will provide specific recommendations for improving our family-school partnership.
Please take 5-10 minutes to reflect on your experience at Joyner and complete this 31-question survey: PTA School of Excellence Survey. Your response will be anonymous. (Paste this link in your browser if the hyperlinks above don’t work: http://bit.ly/JYJPTAsurvey.)
Volunteers needed for the Jamboree
The Joyner Jamboree is set for Friday, Oct. 21, from 5:30-8 p.m. — but we need lots of help from our amazing JYJ volunteers to make this annual event happen! Please sign up in MemberHub to volunteer for 1-hour shifts at the Jamboree — lots of great (and easy) jobs still available, like selling glow sticks, working the basketball shootout or cleaning up after all the fun is over.
No Fuss Fundraiser ends Oct. 21
We’re in the final weeks of the annual No Fuss Fundraiser, so now is the time for all you procrastinators to make your donation! Just click through to the PTA website now and make a gift toward our $25,000 goal — every little bit truly helps (although feel free to make a gigantic donation if you’re in the mood). Your contribution will help provide technology and books for classrooms, appreciation events for teachers and staff, cultural performances for students, academic and athletic programs and so much more! If you’ve already joined and donated, THANK YOU! If you haven’t done it yet, what are you waiting for?
More ways to volunteer at JYJ
Looking for a direct way to impact students and teachers at school? We have lots of good options for you!
- Joyner’s PTA is launching a Study Buddies program to pair adult volunteers with students in each grade that need a little extra one-on-one time reading or doing class work — the goal is to match pairs for the school year to meet for 15-30 minutes. No prior teaching experience necessary — we will hold a training session to get you prepared. If you are interested, please email Kate Parke at firstname.lastname@example.org — and don’t forget to register as a WCPSS volunteer!
- Ms. Hale needs support checking in books and getting them back on the shelves. Click this link for the MemberHub sign-up to volunteer in the media center. Contact Helen Green at HelenHeathGreen@gmail.com with questions.
Fund for the Fottas
If your child attended art camp this summer, you may have already heard about art teacher Ryan Fotta’s plans to adopt a child with his wife, Elissa. Read more at their website, http://www.followingtheredthread.com, where you can buy t-shirts or make a donation to help them bring their daughter home. While this isn’t a PTA program, we love the opportunity to help grow the Joyner family by one more child.
TEK clubs start today
If you registered for one of Joyner’s TEK Clubs and received your club assignment, your first session starts after school today. Contact Duval Fisher at email@example.com with questions.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Oct. 21: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Oct. 21: Joyner Jamboree
- Oct. 31: Make-up day — school in session
- Nov. 8: 2-hour delay for all WCPSS schools (election day)
- Nov. 10: Science Go Round
- Nov. 11: Veteran’s Day (no school)
- Nov. 17: 2nd Annual JYJ Foundation Dance-a-Thon, 5:30-7:30 p.m.