Volunteers needed for the Jamboree
The Joyner Jamboree is set for Friday, Oct. 21, from 5:30-8 p.m. — but we need lots of help from our amazing JYJ volunteers to make this annual event happen! Please sign up in MemberHub to volunteer for 1-hour shifts at the Jamboree. Forms about the event will come home in folders this week. This family-friendly night of fun is for the whole family, but only children need the $5 wristband to participate in the bouncy house, climbing wall, tumble track, face painting, the haunted hallway and more! Food is also available for purchase at the event.
Disability Awareness Month
October is Disability Awareness Month in Wake County. Did you know Albert Einstein had dyslexia? Would you have guessed that actress Emily Blunt had a stutter? Have you wondered how Evelyn Glennie could be both deaf and a full-time solo professional percussionist? Check out these links, then watch this video where kids explain autism and why it’s okay to be different — could be a great discussion topic with your family at the dinner table tonight.
No Fuss Fundraiser ends Oct. 21
We’re in the final weeks of the annual No Fuss Fundraiser, so now is the time for all you procrastinators to make your donation! Just click through to the PTA website now and make a gift toward our $25,000 goal — every little bit truly helps (although feel free to make a gigantic donation if you’re in the mood). Your contribution will help provide technology and books for classrooms, appreciation events for teachers and staff, cultural performances for students, academic and athletic programs and so much more! If you’ve already joined and donated, THANK YOU! If you haven’t done it yet, what are you waiting for?
Registration still open for select TEK clubs
Some TEK Clubs still have spaces for the fall — contact Duval Fisher at email@example.com with questions or for registration information. Clubs will begin next Wednesday, Oct. 12 from 3:30-4:45. Cost is $135 for six sessions. Club listings may be found at http://www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com.
More ways to volunteer at JYJ
Looking for a direct way to impact students and teachers at school? We have lots of good options for you!
- Joyner’s PTA is launching a Study Buddies program to pair adult volunteers with students in each grade that need a little extra one-on-one time reading or doing class work — the goal is to match pairs for the school year to meet for 15-30 minutes. Times will vary between early morning, lunch and afternoon. Instead of racing off after drop-off or sitting in carpool waiting for school to get out, come inside and read with a student in need of a little more academic encouragement! No prior teaching experience necessary — we will hold a training session to get you prepared. Study Buddies is a great way to help support academic growth at Joyner and also help our kids reach their full potential as learners. If you are interested, please email Kate Parke at firstname.lastname@example.org — and don’t forget to register as a WCPSS volunteer!
- Ms. Hale needs support checking in books and getting them back on the shelves. Click this link for the MemberHub sign-up to volunteer in the media center. Ideally, she would like to have a volunteer each morning between 8:00 and 8:30, but books can be checked in and shelved anytime during the day. Contact Helen Green at HelenHeathGreen@gmail.com with questions. (Need a distraction? Check out #letmelibrarianthatforyou on Twitter or Instagram.)
- The Spelling Bee chairperson is looking for volunteers to help make copies of and distribute copies of the spelling word list. Classroom bees will start in December, but lists need to go out to students in the next few weeks. Contact email@example.com to help out.
Fund for the Fottas
If your child attended art camp this summer, you may have already heard about art teacher Ryan Fotta’s plans to adopt a child with his wife, Elissa. Read more at their website, http://www.followingtheredthread.com, where you can buy t-shirts or make a donation to help them bring their daughter home. While this isn’t a PTA program, we love the opportunity to help grow the Joyner family by one more child.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Oct. 21: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Oct. 21: Joyner Jamboree
- Oct. 31: Teacher workday
- Nov. 8: 2-hour delay for all WCPSS schools (election day)
- Nov. 10: Science Go Round
- Nov. 11: Veteran’s Day (no school)
- Nov. 17: 2nd Annual JYJ Foundation Dance-a-Thon, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.