Good news — there’s no snow in this week’s forecast! Check the WCPSS website for a detailed listing of make-up days from last week’s unexpected break. Want even more good news? The PTA will provide hot chocolate and cupcakes for teacher appreciation on this Friday’s early release — no student effort required (although feel free to show your teacher some extra love).
Registration and magnet period open for 2017-18
Have a rising kindergartner? Registration is now open — click here for details. Looking at magnet middle schools or other options? Find all your magnet information here. The magnet application period closes Jan. 31.
Enter now for your 30 seconds of fame
We’re gearing up for the 2017 Healthy Choice Marathon! Encourage your students to create a 30-second video showcasing their favorite healthy activity on their own or with JYJ friends. Dancing, playing sports, running, jumping, stretching… show us what you love to do to stay healthy! All videos meeting the above criteria will appear on the JYJ News, and all who submit videos will be entered into a drawing. Two students’ names will be drawn from each grade level to receive a prize, plus these 10 lucky winners will be asked to appear onstage during the HCM kickoff assembly on Friday, Feb. 5!
Videos submissions will be accepted by e-mail any time from Jan. 18 through Feb. 1 and will be aired beginning Jan. 25. Send 30-second videos to HCM Chair Kate Sonawane at firstname.lastname@example.org — please include children’s names and grade level in the email message.
Need some motivation to exercise?
Join us for the 6th annual Joyner 5K Run/Walk on March 5 at 2 p.m.! This fun family event aims to teach kids about the benefits of making healthy lifestyle choices and raises money to fund annual programs for our 700+ student body. Over the past five years, more than 3,100 race participants have helped fund character education, Battle of the Books, campus beautification, Science Go Round, First in Fitness, technology updates, media center projects…and so much more. Check out our website at https://joynerpta.com/5k-running-club/ for more info. Registration for the race starts soon, so stay tuned! Questions? Contact Arinn Widmayer at email@example.com.
Interested in helping with run club? Shanna Schroeder is looking for volunteers to continue this great program — contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Two opportunities coming this week still need some volunteer help:
- Sign up to volunteer for the schoolwide Spelling Bee on Thursday, Jan. 19. Classroom chaperones are needed from 3:30-6:30 p.m. Volunteers will not be asked to spell.
- Sign up to help paint the staff bathrooms on Saturday, Jan. 21. Volunteers can also come in before Saturday to help tape off the space.
Sports with Coach Scott
A few spots have opened up in Sports After School. Coach Scott picks up the kids at Joyner in the walker hallway after school and escorts them down to Kiwanis Park for fun games, activities, nature walks and a variety of sports. The program is open to students in K-5 and runs every Tuesday. Cost is $15 per session or $60 per 4-week session. Pick up your child at 4:30 at Kiwanis Park. Contact Coach Scott at 336-963-4555 or email@example.com with questions or to register.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Jan. 19: Schoolwide spelling bee, 3:30 p.m.
- Jan. 20: Early release and teacher appreciation provided by the PTA
- Jan. 27: Snow make-up day (school is in session)
- Feb. 10: Early release and teacher appreciation (Theme: “We couldn’t have ‘PICKED’ a better teacher than you!” Have your child bring their teacher/staff member’s favorite fruit.)
- Feb. 20: Snow make-up day (school is in session)
- March 5: Joyner 5K