May is Better Speech and Hearing Month to raise awareness about communication disorders — learn more from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association.
So much fun this Friday!
There’s no shortage of good times scheduled for this Friday:
- JYJ volunteer appreciation breakfast starts at 8:00 a.m. in the media center.
- Field Day runs from 9:15-11:15 for K-2 and 11:30-1:30 for 3-5. Mr. Poyer is all set on juice boxes, but still needs cookies for the kids and water bottles for parent volunteers — please bring what you can before Friday! Remember to cover your kids in sunscreen before they come to school on Friday and pack a change of clothes.
- EOG pep rally will start at 2:00 to get our 3rd, 4th and 5th graders excited about showing off what they’ve learned this year.
Complete parent survey this week
Please complete this anonymous survey so we can assess our improvement and continue to adjust going forward as part of the PTA School of Excellence program — it’s quick and easy, but we need your replies by the end of the week!
We used your feedback earlier this year to select a target goal to “Improve Family Engagement in Education” for the year. With that goal in mind, Joyner’s faculty and staff implemented student-led conferences this spring. The PTA also made a deliberate effort to increase communication around our School Improvement Plan, WCPSS standards, National PTA Parent’s Guide to Success and tips for staying informed on important legislation such as HB13. Here’s the full link in case you need to copy and paste into your browser: https://goo.gl/forms/SqPIgZ46abbs0GU43.
Study Buddies meeting next Tuesday
Calling all Study Buddies! Please meet in the media center on May 23 at 8 a.m. to discuss how the first year of our new mentoring program has gone. Thank you for all your hard work and commitment to our JYJ students. Committee Chair Kate Parke would love your feedback in regards to what went well and what we could change up next fall. Teachers, please feel free to email your input to email@example.com.
Clear out those old markers
Take a few minutes to sort through your art supplies at home and bring any dried up markers to school for the Crayola Colorcycle Program. Drop them off in the colorful bin in Mr. Fotta’s room by next Wednesday and parent volunteer Rebecca Blum will pick them up!
PTA officers, chairs for 2017-18
Many thanks to all who have helped make the PTA and its programs possible this year — and an extra thank you to all who have already signed up to help for next school year. Check out the slate of officers and committee chairs lined up for 2017-18.
We still need co-chairs for the Joyner Jamboree — now’s your chance to step up and claim the glory (and bask in it all year after completing your job in October)!
County and state budgets impact education
If you love budget wrangling, then this is your favorite time of year!
- Wake County has released its proposed budget, which includes a response to WCPSS’ request for local funding for education — read more from The N&O. The County Commissioners will hold a public hearing on the budget on June 5 at 7 p.m. at the Commons Building (4011 Carya Dr., Raleigh).
- The NC Senate has released its proposed budget — read this article from EdNC about education spending in the Senate budget. The budget now goes to the House, which will propose it’s own plan. For a detailed breakdown of the budget proposal, please see the NC Department of Public Instruction’s line item analysis: Senate Budget Summary and its Comparison of the 2016-17 Proposed Budgets.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Summer camps:
- May 19: Volunteer appreciation breakfast and Field Day
- May 26-June 6: End-of-Grade testing
- May 29: Holiday
- June 7: Step up day
- June 8: 5th grade graduation
- June 9: annual 5th grade vs. faculty kickball game (last day of school)
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.