Bring in any dried up markers to school this morning for the final pick-up of the year for the Crayola Colorcycle Program. Drop them off in the colorful bin in Mr. Fotta’s room!
Order supplies now, be ready in August
While it may feel strange to think about next school year when you’re still in the craziness of the current year, we’ve got one item you can go ahead and check off your list for the fall: school supplies.
Just go to https://www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks/ and use ID code joy014. Order by June 15 to get the discounted price. If you’re able to order an extra pack, just put “donation” in the name fields and the PTA will make sure it goes to a Joyner student in need. All supply orders must be placed in advance — no supply packs will be sold at school this fall. Pre-ordered supply packs will be delivered to the school and waiting for you at the beginning of the school year. [Note: If you’d rather shop for your own supplies, teacher lists will be available. But ordering them this way is waaaaaayyyy easier.]
Kiwanis Park make-over needs your support
If you volunteered at Field Day last week and thought that Kiwanis Park could really use some help, you’re in luck! The City of Raleigh Parks & Rec department and the Kiwanis organization are teaming up to rebuild Kiwanis Park — the park belongs to the city, but is a huge benefit to Joyner. Park & Rec have committed $1 million to cover the new fully staffed community center, new picnic shelter and new bathrooms — click here for details. That leaves an additional $400,000 needed to provide a new playground, basketball court, dog park, pickle ball court (yes, that’s actually a thing) and a greenway connection. Kiwanis Foundation has committed to match community donations up to $250,000 to help make this happen!
Joyner parent Jen Schrage is partnering with Kiwanis to help raise the additional needed funds. Check out the June 4th Food Truck Rodeo and the crowdfunding site for ways you can contribute. If you know of a business that might be interested in sponsorship opportunities for the Food Truck Rodeo or through signage at the park, please contact Jen at email@example.com.
Summer camps filling up
Don’t forget to register your kids for Spanish camp with Sra. Bell, kindergarten readiness camp with Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes, or PE/art/expedition camp with Mr. Poyer, Mr. Fotta and Ms. Orr. Just a heads up — the PE camp session for K-2 students is already full for the week of Aug. 7.
- Kindergarten readiness camp with Ms. Forbes and Ms. Johnson
- Spanish camp with Ms. Bell
- PE/Art/Expedition camps with Mr. Poyer, Mr. Fotta and Ms. Orr
County, school district differ on budget approach
Are you keeping up with all the latest budget information? Read the WCPSS response to the county’s proposed budget. If you’d like to advocate for or against items in the budget, make plans to attend the public hearing on the budget on June 5 at 7 p.m. at the Commons Building (4011 Carya Dr., Raleigh).
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- May 26-June 6: End-of-Grade testing (exact dates vary by grade level)
- May 29: Holiday
- June 7: Step up day
- June 8: 5th grade graduation
- June 9: annual 5th grade vs. faculty kickball game (last day of school)
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.