Don’t forget to visit with Mr. Charles this morning! He’ll be out front to say goodbye for the summer. Many thanks to all who contributed cards and donations to his get-well wishes!
Congratulations to Mrs. Hutchinson
Last night, the Wake County Board of Education named our own Mrs. Hutchinson to lead Centennial Campus Middle School starting in July. We wish her all the best and thank her for her leadership at Joyner over the past six years! WCPSS will be working with the PTA to set up a parent input session regarding the hiring of a new principal — we’ll share details as soon as we have them.
Check school supply ordering off your list
Quick, before you forget — go to https://www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks/ and use ID code joy014 to order school supplies for next fall. Order by June 15 to get the discounted price. If you’re able to order an extra pack, just put “donation” in the name fields and the PTA will make sure it goes to a Joyner student in need. All supply orders must be placed in advance — no supply packs will be sold at school this fall. Pre-ordered supply packs will be delivered to the school and waiting for you at the beginning of the school year.
Spring fundraiser leads to special purchases
The 2017 Joyner 5K Run/Walk and Classroom Challenge raised $30,000 through generous sponsorships and donations from community members, parents, grandparents and students. Our 5K fundraising theme this year was “Super Specials” and focused on enhancing our Spanish, PE, art and technology programs. We are pleased to share those improvements:
- Technology: Wonder Workshop Dash and Dot robotics kits (real robots that make computer science education fun and effective in teaching kids to code and create music); Lego Story Pack (early learning focused on creating tech animation programs); and soundboard, mixer and broadcast equipment to upgrade the student-run JYJ News.
- PE: Sets of lacrosse equipment to introduce students to the sport.
- Spanish: Materials and manipulatives to improve language learning with a focus on technology and visual aids.
- Art: Large drying racks for student art and clay materials
Thank you to the entire school community for your support!
Sign up to water the JYJ garden
The pollinator garden is exploding and we need your help keeping it that way over the summer. We are looking for families to help with watering the garden each week. No set days or time, just pick a week and use your judgement on how often you need to come. Sign up is available on MemberHub.
Join us at the library this summer
All JYJ students are invited to participate in the Summer Reading Challenge by reading a total of 1,000 minutes over the summer. Those who track and turn in their minutes after school starts back in the fall will take part in the Summer Reading Celebration in September. Details and reading logs are available in the PTA hub files section of MemberHub in English and Spanish. Make plans to join us at library meet-ups each month — see the dates and locations listed at the end of this message. Contact Kristin Wolverton at email@example.com or Crystal Jordan at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Thanks for the magic (markers)!
Parent volunteer Rebecca Bloom extends a HUGE thank you to the community for sending in markers and to Mr. Fotta and Ms. Johnson who kept collection bins in their rooms this year. Last weekend, she shipped 5,614 markers to Crayola for recycling! Many thanks to all who supported this program to help protect the environment for our children.
Help change Kiwanis Park
Interested in learning more about The City of Raleigh Parks & Rec department and the Kiwanis organization effort to rebuild Kiwanis Park? Click here for details. Joyner parent Jen Schrage is partnering with Kiwanis to help raise additional needed funds. Check out the crowdfunding site for ways you can contribute — $500 gets your name on the park plaque!
In case you’re planning ahead…
TEK Clubs will return to JYJ this fall for six sessions on Wednesdays from 3:30-4:45 p.m. The clubs will run from Oct. 25 through Dec. 6 (skipping the week of Thanksgiving). More TEK Club details will be sent home at the start of the new school year. Feel free to reach out to Duval Fisher with any questions at email@example.com).
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- June 7: Step up day
- June 8: 5th grade graduation
- June 9: annual 5th grade vs. faculty kickball game (last day of school)
- June 19: Wake Board of Commissioners to vote on county budget, 2 p.m. at the Justice Center (300 S. Salisbury St.). To speak, sign-up 30 minutes before meeting.
- June 20: JYJ library meet-up at Cameron Village Library, 5:30 p.m.
- July 11: JYJ library meet-up at North Regional Library, 5:30 p.m.
- Aug. 8: JYJ library meet-up at Leesville Community Library, 5:30 p.m.
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 28: First day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications team. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.