Great news from Mr. Fotta and his wife — they’re heading to China this Friday to bring home their daughter, Harper Kay Fotta. Join their “Fottas Travel Journey to China” Facebook group if you’d like to follow along.
Check school supply ordering off your list
Take advantage of school supply pre-ordering now and save yourself some time in August! Just go to https://www.educationalproducts.com/ShopPacks/ and use ID code joy014. Order by June 15 to get the discounted price. If you’re able to order an extra pack, just put “donation” in the name fields and the PTA will make sure it goes to a Joyner student in need. All supply orders must be placed in advance — no supply packs will be sold at school this fall. Pre-ordered supply packs will be delivered to the school and waiting for you at the beginning of the school year.
Get-well wishes for Mr. Charles
Joyner’s sweet and wonderful crossing guard Mr. Charles took a fall and has been in the hospital, but should be heading home. He’s hoping to come by on Thursday morning with his wife to say hello and wish the kids a great summer. If you’d like to contribute toward the collection for dinners and take-out gift cards, please see Ameshia Turlington (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ashley Jones (email@example.com) this week. Ameshia will also be in the school lobby THIS MORNING to collect donations or any cards from the kids for Mr. Charles, or you can catch Ashley at walker pick-up.
Gear up for summer reading
Looking for something educational to keep your child busy this summer? Look no further than Joyner’s Summer Reading Challenge! All JYJ students are invited to participate in this challenge by reading a total of 1,000 minutes over the summer. Those who track and turn in their minutes by Friday, Sept. 8, will take part in the Summer Reading Celebration later that month. Look for a reading log to come home with your child before the end of school — extra logs will be available on Memberhub.
Attend county budget hearing to voice support for schools
Did you know that…
- Magnet Schools of America placed 27 WCPSS schools — including Joyner — among the best in the nation for 2016
- Each WCPSS graduating class adds more than $86 million to local property values
- Every dollar spent and retained in Wake County by the WCPSS operating budget generates $1.76 in our community and every dollar invested in the WCPSS capital budget generates $2.23
- WCPSS relies on funding from Wake County Board of Commissioners for nearly 30 percent of its annual budget
WCPSS has requested an additional $45 million from Wake County for 2017-18 — read this overview explaining the need for funds and the pressures facing the district. County commissioners need to hear from parents about why these budget items matter for students and families. Here’s how you can make your voice heard:
- Attend a public hearing on June 5 — sign up 30 minutes before meeting starts to get 3 minutes to speak. Hearings will be held at the Justice Center (300 S. Salisbury St.) at 2 p.m. and at 4011 Carya Dr. (off Poole Rd.) at 7 p.m. Wear red if you’d like to show your support for public ed.
- Attend the Commissioners’ voting meeting on June 19 at 2 p.m. at the Justice Center (300 S. Salisbury St.). To speak, sign-up 30 minutes before meeting.
- Tweet at the Wake County Commissioners: @sighutchinson @Matt_Calabria @JessicaHolmesNC @ervportman4wake @GregFordNC @Burns4Wake
- Call or email the Wake County Commissioners: Click for contact information
Help fund the Kiwanis Park make-over
Interested in learning more about The City of Raleigh Parks & Rec department and the Kiwanis organization effort to rebuild Kiwanis Park? Click here for details. Joyner parent Jen Schrage is partnering with Kiwanis to help raise additional needed funds. Check out the June 4th Food Truck Rodeo and the crowdfunding site for ways you can contribute. If you know of a business that might be interested in sponsorship opportunities for the Food Truck Rodeo or through signage at the park, please contact Jen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- May 26-June 6: End-of-Grade testing (exact dates vary by grade level)
- June 7: Step up day
- June 8: 5th grade graduation
- June 9: annual 5th grade vs. faculty kickball game (last day of school)
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications team. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.