Summer To-Do List
- Water the pollinator garden. Sign up is available on MemberHub.
- Track your summer reading using the logs available in the PTA hub files section of MemberHub in English and Spanish.
- Join us for library meet-ups on Aug. 8 — see details at the end of this message.
NC Budget Recap
The NC Legislature passed the state budget in early July. Click here for a recap of the education policy and funding changes.
Public Comment Period for Every Student Succeeds Act Draft State Plan Ends July 27
Educators, parents, students and other stakeholders of North Carolina’s public schools are invited to comment on the draft North Carolina Consolidated State Plan for the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA State Plan). The public review and comment period opened on June 26 with the posting of the latest draft. While earlier drafts of the plan included policies on early learning (birth through third grade), that language has been eliminated in the current draft.
As required by federal law, the state’s ESSA plan must be open to public review and comment for 30 days. NCDPI will submit the draft plan to Gov. Roy Cooper’s office for review after the comment period ends on July 27. The governor has 30 days to review and sign the plan before NCDPI submits it to the secretary of the U.S. Department of Education by Sept. 18. Additional information and earlier draft plans are posted online.
Written comments may be submitted via email to Lou Fabrizio, NCDPI’s director of federal policy, or to Donna Brown, director of the department’s Federal Program Monitoring and Support Division. Comments also may be mailed to: Lou Fabrizio, Director of Federal Policy, NCDPI, 6367 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-6300.
“Meet Up to Eat Up!” Summer Food Programs Available
More than 60 percent of North Carolina children are eligible for free or reduced price school meals and almost a quarter are food insecure. When school is out and students no longer have the benefit of the school breakfast and/or school lunch program, some may not have enough food to eat.
The Summer Nutrition Program invites students to “Meet Up to Eat Up!” Organizations across the state are participating in this free summer meals program. Children and teens aged 18 and younger may get healthy, free lunches through August 25. No application or proof of income is needed to receive a meal.
To find summer feeding sites, check out the Summer Nutrition Programs Site Locator Map, text FOODNC to 877-877, or call 1-866-3HUNGRY for English or 1-866-3HAMBRE for Spanish. On social media, families can follow #NCSummerMeals for updates.
Citizens and organizations interested in more information about getting involved as a site, activity provider or volunteer should contact NCDPI Summer Nutrition Programs Manager Cynthia Ervin.
School Supply Order
If you pre-ordered school supplies through Joyner, your supplies will be delivered to the school. You can pick them up at Meet the Teacher on Aug. 25 and take them directly to your child’s classroom. If you aren’t able to make Meet the Teacher, your pre-ordered supplies will be delivered to your child’s classroom and should be waiting for him or her on the first day of school!
Unsubscribe from the Joyner Hub
Did your family graduate from Joyner this year? We hate to see you go, but understand if you no longer need to be in the Joyner Hub or receive the PTA NewsFlash. If this is the case, just reply to this message with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line and we’ll take care of it.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Aug. 8: JYJ library meet-up at Leesville Community Library, 5:30 p.m.
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 25: Meet the Teacher, 8-9:30 a.m.
- Aug. 28: First day of school!
- Aug. 28-Sept 1: Kindergarten staggered entry week
- Sept. 1: Kindergarten Meet the Teacher and popsicles
- Sept. 4: Holiday
- Sept. 7: Open House (5:00 session, 5:45 PTA General Meeting, 6:15 session)
- Sept. 15: Summer reading celebration during school
- Sept. 21: Teacher workday
- Sept. 29: Early release
- Oct. 13: Joyner Jamboree
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.