Interim principal named for Joyner
Michael Chappell has been named interim principal for Joyner while WCPSS completes the process to find a permanent person to lead the school. Chappell has worked in WCPSS since 1982, retiring from the principalship of Jones Dairy Elementary in 2011. Since then, he has served as interim principal at several WCPSS schools, most recently at Wakefield Middle. The PTA welcomes Mr. Chappell and appreciates the care WCPSS is taking to find just the right principal for Joyner!
Summer to-do list
- Water the pollinator garden. Sign up is available on MemberHub.
- Track your summer reading using the logs available in the PTA hub files section of MemberHub in English and Spanish. Join us for library meet-ups on July 11 (NEXT TUESDAY!) and Aug. 8 — see details at the end of this message.
Summer food programs available
More than 60 percent of North Carolina children are eligible for free or reduced price school meals and almost a quarter are food insecure. When school is out and they no longer have the benefit of the school breakfast and/or school lunch program, they may not have enough food to eat.
Fortunately, organizations across the state are participating in the Free Summer Meals program. Children and teens aged 18 and younger may get healthy, free lunches through August 25. No application or proof of income is needed to receive a meal.
To find summer feeding sites, text FOODNC to 877-877 or call 1-866-3HUNGRY.
Unsubscribe from the Joyner Hub
Did your family graduate from Joyner this year? We hate to see you go, but understand if you no longer need to be in the Joyner Hub or receive the PTA NewsFlash. If this is the case, just reply to this message with UNSUBSCRIBE in the subject line and we’ll take care of it.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- July 11: JYJ library meet-up at North Regional Library, 5:30 p.m.
- Aug. 8: JYJ library meet-up at Leesville Community Library, 5:30 p.m.
- Aug. 9: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 20: Rising kindergarten popsicle playdate, Joyner playground, 3 p.m.
- Aug. 25: Meet the Teacher, 8-9:30 a.m.
- Aug. 28: First day of school!
- Sept. 1: Kindergarten Meet the Teacher and popsicles
- Sept. 4: Holiday
- Sept. 7: Open House (5:00 session, 5:45 PTA General Meeting, 6:15 session)
- Sept. 15: Summer reading celebration during school
- Sept. 21: Teacher workday
- Sept. 29: Early release
- Oct. 13: Joyner Jamboree
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.