Tweet much? Follow the JYJ PTA Twitter account! Find us @pta_joyner and tag us when you have news to share.
We’re halfway through week one. We got this! Here’s what you need to know this week:
- Kindergarten Meet the Teacher is this Friday, Sept. 1. Kindergartners and their parent(s) can come from noon to 1:30 to the K hallway to get your teacher assignments and meet your teachers, then join your new classmates for popsicles under the overhang.
- Summer Reading logs are due by this Friday, Sept. 1. Reading logs are available in the PTA hub files section of MemberHub in English and Spanish.
- Join the PTA and give to the No Fuss Fundraiser. PTA volunteers will be staffing a table in the lobby every morning during drop-off through next Friday. Please stop by to make your donation, fill out a volunteer interest form and get a JYJ magnet.
- Monday is a holiday! No school next Monday, Sept. 4.
- Open House is next Thursday, Sept. 7. There will be two classroom sessions with a short PTA meeting in between: 5:00 session, 5:45 PTA General Meeting, 6:15 session. Please plan to attend one session (or two if you have multiple children) and the PTA meeting.
What’s With the Tag on My Child’s Backpack?
This school year, Wake County is requiring all elementary school bus riders to have color-coded tags with bus route information on their backpacks. Please help your child keep this important tag on his or her backpack all year. Bus drivers will look to see that students have tags when boarding the bus in the morning. In the afternoon, bus riders will be required to have a tag in order to board the bus. At the start of the school year, some students may use a temporary bus pass while they are being assigned school transportation.
New App to Track Your Child’s School Bus Location
WCPSS now offers an app that provides parents with real-time bus location information. Parents with children in traditional-calendar schools (like Joyner) can start using the app about three weeks into the school year, once bus routes are finalized. Here Comes the Bus translates GPS data into an easy to use customizable map that works on a computer, tablet or smartphone. It allows you to see where the bus is and how close it is to your stop.
You can sign up for Here Comes the Bus at https://herecomesthebus.com/getting-started/. You will need the district code and your student’s ID number to sign up. The WCPSS school code is 67500. For your smartphone or tablet, download the Here Comes the Bus app from the App Store or Google Play. Click here for more on how to get started and use the app.
Sign Up, Update or Unsubscribe from the Joyner Hub
If you are new to MemberHub, complete this form and we’ll get you into the JYJ Hub: https://jyj.memberhub.com/join/9bpx9e. If you’re already in the JYJ Hub, take a moment to update your info. Once class lists are made available, volunteers will place you (and your children) in the proper classroom and grade level hubs, so be sure to add your children’s information when you join MemberHub.
Did your family graduate from Joyner this year? We hate to see you go, but understand if you no longer need to be in the Joyner Hub or receive the PTA NewsFlash. Scroll to the bottom of this message for a link to change your preferences.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Aug. 28-Sept 1: Kindergarten staggered entry week
- Sept. 1: Kindergarten Meet the Teacher (in the K hallway) followed by popsicles under the overhang, 12-1:30 p.m.
- Sept. 4: Holiday
- Sept. 7: Open House (5:00 session, 5:45 PTA General Meeting, 6:15 session)
- Sept. 15: Summer reading celebration during school
- Sept. 21: Teacher workday
- Sept. 27: Fall picture day
- Sept. 29: Early release and Teacher Appreciation
- Oct. 13: Joyner Jamboree
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.