Yearbook Pictures – We Need Your Snaps!
Snow Make-Up Days Announced
The make-up days for last week’s snow days will be Thursday, March 29 and Monday, June 11. Friday’s snow day is a “freebie” and will not be made up. The WCPSS traditional school calendar has the snow make-up days listed at the bottom.
Joyner Spelling Bee Rescheduled for January 31
The Joyner School Bee has been rescheduled for next Wednesday, January 31. Twenty-eight spellers from 3rd-5th grades will demonstrate their memory, recall and spelling skills as former national speller Loretta Bohn calls out the words. Come cheer them on starting at 3:30 in the gym! Good luck, Joyner spellers!
Launching Pad Spirit Night
After the spelling bee, come on out to bounce, dunk, flip, play, and show your Joyner spirit at Launching Pad Trampoline Park! Spirit night is next Wednesday, Jan. 31 from 5-8 p.m. Invite your friends, too! Get $5 off jump times and packages with 15% of proceeds going back to our Joyner PTA. The class with the most attendees will ride the XD Motion Simulator at the end of the night! Questions? Contact Leigh Wolitski at firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-606-5219.
Clothing Donations Needed for JYJ Students
Show Us Your Healthy Moves
We’re gearing up for the 2018 Healthy Choice Marathon! Encourage your students to create a 30-second video showcasing their favorite healthy activity on their own or with JYJ friends. Dancing, playing sports, running, jumping, stretching… show us what you love to do to stay healthy! All videos meeting the above criteria will appear on the JYJ News, and all who submit videos will be entered into a drawing. Two students’ names will be drawn from each grade level to receive a prize, plus these 10 lucky winners will be asked to appear onstage during the Healthy Choice Marathon kickoff assembly on Friday, Feb. 2!
Videos submissions will be accepted through next Wednesday, January 31st and will continue to be aired on the JYJ News. Send 30-second videos to HCM Chair Ele Roberts at email@example.com. Please include children’s names, teacher and grade level in the email message. Submitting a video of your child means you are giving permission for the video to be shown at school. Please do not submit videos that show other children without a parent’s permission.
Speaking of the Healthy Choice Marathon kickoff, get your red outfits ready! Friday, Feb. 2nd, is also National Wear Red Day for heart healthy month, so we’re asking everyone to wear red to help rev up the Healthy Choice Marathon!
Run Club Starts in Two Weeks
Run Club has become an annual Healthy Choice Marathon tradition, and is FREE for all Joyner students! The club meets after school for four Thursdays during the Healthy Choice Marathon: 2/8, 2/15, 2/22, and 3/1 from 3pm-4pm. Each week, volunteers collect kids from their classrooms, and GET MOVING together down at the baseball field and on the greenway adjacent to Joyner. The Run Club is volunteer-driven, so parent participation and advance enrollment are essential. Register your child at Run Club Registration. Contact Shanna Schroeder at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Conscious Discipline Course Offered for Parents
A parenting class on Conscious Discipline® and book study on Becky Bailey’s Easy to Love, Difficult to Discipline will be held at White Plains United Methodist Church in Cary. The 8-session class will be moderated by Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor Ashley Cooper. The deadline to signup is Feb. 1, and the class starts Feb. 7 from 7-8:30 p.m. Tuition for the 8-session class is $175 for one adult or $260 per parenting couple (similar to class fees at Project Enlightenment). To sign up: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zCOf4zl1YJUow-Itj6jG5GYsoToRmTVJ/view
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Jan. 31: PTA Spirit Night at Launching Pad Trampoline Park, 5-8 pm.
- Jan. 31: Spelling Bee, 3:30-6 pm.
- Feb. 1: Stella and Dot Shopping Spree to benefit JYJ Foundation
- Feb. 2: Healthy Choice Marathon kick-off assembly
- Feb. 6: Dinner at Piola at North Hills to benefit JYJ Foundation
- Feb. 9: Early Release and Teacher Appreciation
- Feb. 12-13: Beverly Botsford’s Dancing Drums performances (whole school)
- Feb. 17: Odyssey of the Mind Primary Tournament at Wake Tech
- Feb. 19: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 2: Early release and Teacher Appreciation
- Mar. 3: Odyssey of the Mind Regional Tournament @ Wake Tech
- Mar. 4: JYJ 5k
- Mar. 9: Black Box Dance performances (whole school)
- Mar. 12-16: Tony Peacock, writer-in-residence (4th graders)
- Mar. 24: Odyssey of the Mind State Tournament @ Wingate University
- Mar. 29: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 30: Holiday
- Apr. 2-6: Spring Break
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.