Wake County Cancels Make-Up Day on Monday, June 11
The last day of school for this year is now Friday, June 8. The make-up day on June 11 is cancelled. WCPSS has used its discretion to waive a make-up day as students have accumulated sufficient classroom time to meet the state requirements. Also, they realized no one would come.
End of Grade Testing Dates and Request for Volunteers
End of Grade Testing will take place during the last two weeks of school, on the following schedule:
- Tuesday, 5/29: EOGs 3rd grade – Math; 5th grade – Reading
- Wednesday, 5/30: EOGs 3rd grade – Reading; 5th grade – Math
- Thursday, 5/31: EOGs 4th grade – Reading; EOG make-ups for 3rd grade
- Friday, 6/1: EOGs 4th grade – Math; 5th grade – Science
- Monday, 6/4: EOG make-ups for 4th and 5th grade
- Tuesday, 6/5: Read to Achieve Test – 3rd grade
We will need volunteers to proctor for the EOGs Tuesday, 5/29-Friday, 6/1. There will be a proctor training prior to the test administration. If you are interested and available in being a proctor, please contact Susan Serenari at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will need several volunteers each day. All assistance is greatly appreciated!
It’s not too late to register for Spring TEK Clubs
Clubs will meet Wednesdays from April 18-May 23 until 4:45. Please visit this site for club offerings: http://www.teachingenrichmentkids.com/joyner.html and contact TEK to register or with any questions: email@example.com.
Amazon Smile Means Your Purchases Help Joyner
3x your impact! Amazon is tripling the donation rate on your first smile.amazon.com purchase through March 31. Shop Amazon through smile.amazon.com/ch/56-1691112 and Amazon donates a percentage of the sale to Joyner’s PTA!
What Every Parent Needs to Know About Concussions
Concussions are a hot topic in sports these days, but it’s so hard to stay abreast of the recommendations. Paul Cohen, MD of WakeMed Health and Hospitals will address the most common parent and child concerns about concussions and how you can keep your child healthy and safe.
- Date/Time: May 10, 11:30am-1pm
- Location: NCPTA Headquarters, 3501 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27612
- Cost: $20 per person. Lunch will be provided
There is limited seating for the Lunch and Learn Series so register today!
Family 5K Opportunity in Dix Park – Save with JYJ Discount
Joyner families are invited to save $10 on registration for the 5 Factors Fund 5K, to be held on April 14 at 8 a.m. in support of Prevent Child Abuse North Carolina. Use code JYJ10 by April 1 to get the discount. Experience one of North Carolina’s most beautiful parks while you and your family walk or run a 5K or 1-miler at Dorothea Dix Park. This fun family event focuses on building happy and healthy families through the Five Protective Factors that are linked to a lower incidence of child abuse and neglect. Registration includes a t-shirt and a pinwheel temporary tattoo as part of the Pinwheels for Prevention® national effort to raise awareness for child abuse prevention efforts. Deadline to register and receive shirt and tattoo is Sunday, April 1. Register at https://app.racereach.com/event/5-factors-5k-walk-run.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Mar. 29: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 30: Holiday
- Apr. 2-6: Spring Break
- Apr. 12: Spring pictures and class photos from LifeTouch
- Apr. 19: Spirit Night at Moe’s at North Hills, 3-9 pm
- Apr. 19: Student-Led Conferences, 4-6 pm
- Apr. 26: PTA general membership meeting, 6:15 pm, and Spring performance, 6:45 pm
- May 3: JYJ Foundation Fiesta, 7:30-10:30 pm, Whitaker & Atlantic
- May 5: Science Olympiad division tournament
- May 8: Teacher appreciation luncheon
- May 17: Night of Nonsense
- TBD: Kindergarten orientation
- TBD: Field Day
- May 28: Holiday
- June 7: 5th grade graduation
- June 8: 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game AND last day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.