Interested in listening in on State Board of Education meetings? Click here for the Board’s new YouTube channel, which will livestream the meetings (audio only). The audio recordings will remain accessible on the website.
Spring Picture Day Tomorrow
Hose all the green pollen off the kids and send ’em in looking smart tomorrow – it’s Spring picture day! Class pictures will also be taken tomorrow. Flyers went home in folders, or you can order online at mylifetouch.com. To order online, you’ll need Joyner’s picture day ID: BW017759Q0
Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy!
When: Thursday, May 17th
- 4:45pm-8pm: Food Truck Frenzy: (trucks accept cash & credit)
- 6-8pm: Nonsense Show: ALWAYS FREE & ALWAYS FUN! This is a hilarious live show, performed by your very own Joyner Teachers & Staff. Yes, you get to laugh AT your teachers!
Where: Food Trucks in the carpool lane/loop, seating in the cafeteria, show under the overhang next to the carpool loop.
RSVP via the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/876820515856712/. Just visit the page and click “Going” to RSVP!
- American Meltdown
- El Rey del Taco
- The Tot Spot
- Buzzy Bakes Mobile Cupcakery and Coffee Bar
- Truck # 6 TBA when we reach 100 “Going” RSVP’s
- Truck #7 TBA when we reach 300 “Going” RSVP’s
- Truck #8 TBA when we reach 1000 “Going” RSVP’s
Parking is limited, so please walk or carpool if you can.
Bring money for food trucks and a picnic blanket if you’d like to eat outside.
Updated with New Dates! End of Grade Testing Dates and Request for Volunteers
Here’s an update to end of grade testing dates. End of Grade Testing will take place during the last two weeks of school, on the following schedule:
- Friday, 5/25: EOGs 3rd grade – Math; 5th grade – Reading
- Tuesday, 5/29: EOGs 3rd grade – Reading; 5th grade – Math
- Wednesday, 5/30: EOGs 4th grade – Reading; EOG make-ups for 3rd grade
- Thursday, 5/31: EOGs 4th grade – Math; 5th grade – Science
- Friday, 6/1: EOG make-ups for 4th and 5th grade
- Monday, 6/4: Read to Achieve Test – 3rd grade
We will need volunteers to proctor for the EOGs Friday, 5/25-Thursday, 5/1. There will be a proctor training prior to the test administration. If you are interested and available in being a proctor, please contact Susan Serenari at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will need several volunteers each day. All assistance is greatly appreciated!
Joyner Grounds Improvements
While students and staff were on spring break, things were buzzing around JYJ campus!
Thanks to a generous donation from CP and Elizabeth Harris, an amazing artist, Clark Hipolito, created a beautiful mural on the grounds of the pollinator garden. Check out the awesome aerial photo from parent Ryan Ball. Construction also started on the seating wall under the overhang, which should be completed this week.
Moe’s Dine-Out Night to Benefit Joyner PTA
Skip the dishes and join your Joyner friends and family at Moe’s North Hills on Thursday, April 19th from 3-9pm for our final dine-out event of the year. Proceeds benefit your Joyner PTA! Contact Leigh Wolitski with any questions 919-606-5219. See you there!
Get Your JYJ Foundation Fiesta Tickets Today
Hope everyone had a great break, now back to the swing of things! The Early Bird Ticket option for the Foundation Fiesta ends this week (April 14th). Tickets are $75 per person now but after the 14th they will go up to $100 per person. Don’t put it off any longer, buy your tickets today!
It is going to be a great event with new silent auction items coming in everyday. Get your tickets, join the fun and help us reach our fundraising goal so we can continue to support our JYJ staff!
Summer Camp Opportunities!
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer can’t wait to see YOU at camp this summer!
- Join Ms. Cameron as she goes full STEAM ahead, diving into hands-on science, technology, engineering, art and math activities.
- Create priceless one-of-a-kind 2D and 3D masterpieces with Mr. Fotta.
- Team up with Mr. Poyer and play all of your favorite P.E. games, along with a few new ones he has up his sleeve.
Camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3, and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Kindergarten Readiness and First Grade Refresher Camp
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering a rising kindergarten readiness camp this year and adding a special week for rising first graders, too! Register soon – there are only 20 slots for each week.
Camps are half-day (9-noon) and run June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form.
Try Barre3 and Benefit Joyner PTA and JYJ Foundation
During the month of April, enjoy two classes at Barre3 on Whitaker Mill for $25, and they will donate $10 of your payment to Joyner! See image below for details and click here to register.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Apr. 12: Spring pictures and class photos from LifeTouch
- Apr. 19: Spirit Night at Moe’s at North Hills, 3-9 pm
- Apr. 19: Student-Led Conferences, 4-6 pm
- Apr. 26: PTA general membership meeting, 6:15 pm, and Spring performance, 6:45 pm
- May 3: JYJ Foundation Fiesta, 7:30-10:30 pm, Whitaker & Atlantic
- May 5: Science Olympiad division tournament
- May 8: Teacher appreciation luncheon
- May 17: Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
- TBD: Kindergarten orientation
- TBD: Field Day
- May 28: Holiday
- June 7: 5th grade graduation
- June 8: 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game AND last day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.