Please check the lost and found! Items will be bagged up at the end of the week to to be washed and donated to Note in the Pocket.
PTA Meeting and Spring Concert Tomorrow Evening
Please make plans to attend the PTA general membership meeting tomorrow evening at 6:20 p.m. under the overhang. We’ll have a quick meeting before the spring concert starts. Your votes are needed to approve the slate of officers and the preliminary budget for 2018-19. (Note: The spring concert includes 3rd grade recorder performance and the Gold Choir, but all are welcome.)
Take a deep breath — less than 7 weeks of school left in 2017-18!!!
Art Treasures Are Back
Volunteers Still Needed for EOGs
Joyner still needs some volunteers to proctor for the EOGs Friday, 5/25-Thursday, 5/1. There will be a proctor training prior to the test administration. If you are able to serve as a proctor, please contact Susan Serenari at email@example.com. We will need several volunteers each day. All assistance is greatly appreciated!
End of Grade Testing will take place during the last two weeks of school, on the following schedule:
- Friday, 5/25: EOGs 3rd grade – Math; 5th grade – Reading
- Tuesday, 5/29: EOGs 3rd grade – Reading; 5th grade – Math
- Wednesday, 5/30: EOGs 4th grade – Reading; EOG make-ups for 3rd grade
- Thursday, 5/31: EOGs 4th grade – Math; 5th grade – Science
- Friday, 6/1: EOG make-ups for 4th and 5th grade
- Monday, 6/4: Read to Achieve Test – 3rd grade
Tickets and Donations for the JYJ Foundation Fiesta
The JYJ Foundation has extended the deadline for donations for teacher tickets to the Foundation Fiesta and will still be collecting through the end of this week. Foundation volunteers will be in the lobby Wednesday through Friday this week if you would like to make a contribution, or you can send through Venmo @Courtney-Watkinson or paypal. Thanks to all of you who have already contributed — we are excited that so many teachers and staff members will be there to join in the fun on May 3rd! Also, if you still need to purchase your tickets, just go to the website https://joyner.auction-bid.org/microsite/.
Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
When: Thursday, May 17
- 4:45-8 p.m.: Food Truck Frenzy (trucks accept cash & credit)
- 6-8 p.m.: Nonsense Show is ALWAYS FREE & ALWAYS FUN! This is a hilarious live show, performed by your very own Joyner Teachers & Staff. Yes, you get to laugh AT your teachers!
Where: Food Trucks in the carpool lane/loop, seating in the cafeteria, show under the overhang next to the carpool loop.
RSVP via the Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/876820515856712/. Just visit the page and click “Going” to RSVP!
- American Meltdown
- El Rey del Taco
- The Tot Spot
- Buzzy Bakes Mobile Cupcakery and Coffee Bar
- Truck # 6 TBA when we reach 100 “Going” RSVP’s
- Truck #7 TBA when we reach 300 “Going” RSVP’s
- Truck #8 TBA when we reach 1000 “Going” RSVP’s
Parking is limited, so please walk or carpool if you can. Bring money for food trucks and a picnic blanket if you’d like to eat outside.
Wake County Public Schools Budget Update and Opportunity for Parent Input
Wake County Public School’s 2018-2019 proposed budget called for an increase of $58.9 million in local funding, $48 million of which would maintain the current level of instruction and support.
The proposal also includes $11 million in improved services, including to increase the number of school counselors, social workers and psychologists as well as services for the Academically and Intellectually Gifted. Visit www.wcpss.net/budget to learn more.
The Board of Education held a public hearing on the budget proposal last week, so parents wishing to comment on the budget should contact their school board member as soon as possible. Once the Board of Education approves changes to the proposed budget, it will send its request to the Wake County Commissioners before May 15. State law requires County Commissioners make the final decision by June 30 on all budget requests involving local funding. More than a quarter of the school system’s budget is paid for with local funding.
Summer Camp Opportunities
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer can’t wait to see YOU at camp this summer!
- Join Ms. Cameron as she goes full STEAM ahead, diving into hands-on science, technology, engineering, art and math activities.
- Create priceless one-of-a-kind 2D and 3D masterpieces with Mr. Fotta.
- Team up with Mr. Poyer and play all of your favorite P.E. games, along with a few new ones he has up his sleeve.
Camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3, and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Kindergarten Readiness and First Grade Refresher Camp
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering a rising kindergarten readiness camp this year and adding a special week for rising first graders, too! Register soon – there are only 20 slots for each week.
Camps are half-day (9-noon) and run June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form, which now includes where to send payment.
Try Barre3 and Benefit Joyner PTA and JYJ Foundation
During the month of April, enjoy two classes at Barre3 on Whitaker Mill for $25, and they will donate $10 of your payment to Joyner! See image below for details and click here to register.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Apr. 26: PTA general membership meeting, 6:20 pm, and spring concert, 6:45 pm
- May 3: JYJ Foundation Fiesta, 7:30-10:30 pm, Whitaker & Atlantic
- May 5: Science Olympiad division tournament
- May 8: Teacher appreciation luncheon
- May 11: Volunteer Breakfast, 8-8:30 am
- May 11: Field Day
- May 17: Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
- TBD: Kindergarten orientation
- May 28: Holiday
- June 7: 5th grade graduation, 8-9 am
- June 8: 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game AND last day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.