Coming to the Night of Nonsense on May 17? Be sure to let us know so we can have lots of great food trucks there! Please visit the Facebook page and click “Going” to RSVP, and help spread the word: more “going” means we can invite more trucks. Yum.<
Volunteers and Supplies Needed for Night of Nonsense
For the second year, Joyner will provide a “Quiet Room” at Night of Nonsense for anyone who needs to step out of the fun for a few minutes. If you can volunteer to supervise the quiet room for part of the evening or let us borrow some supplies (bean bag chair, books, music player, coloring supplies, sensory toys, etc.) please sign up here. Thank you for helping make Night of Nonsense fun for ALL our Joyner kids and families.
Volunteers Still Needed for EOGs
Joyner still needs some volunteers to proctor for the EOGs any day Friday, 5/25-Thursday, 5/1, from about 8:25-noon. Proctors must attend a one-hour training.
- Wednesday, May 9, from 12:00-1:00 pm in the media center
- Friday, May 18, from 8:45-9:45 am in the conference room
End of Grade Testing will take place during the last two weeks of school, on the following schedule:
- Friday, 5/25: EOGs 3rd grade – Math; 5th grade – Reading
- Tuesday, 5/29: EOGs 3rd grade – Reading; 5th grade – Math
- Wednesday, 5/30: EOGs 4th grade – Reading; EOG make-ups for 3rd grade
- Thursday, 5/31: EOGs 4th grade – Math; 5th grade – Science
- Friday, 6/1: EOG make-ups for 4th and 5th grade
- Monday, 6/4: Read to Achieve Test – 3rd grade
Congratulations to our PTA Award Winners
North Carolina PTA Teacher of the Year (1-3 years): Fran Cameron
Winner of the statewide ”Champion for Children” award, Ms. Cameron has been at Joyner Elementary for 18 years, but this school year is her first as a classroom teacher. Her dedication and passion for teaching has been such an example for our community as she nurtured and paid attention to every detail as a Teacher Assistant at school by day and earned her teaching license outside of school hours. Her classroom is a creative and curious space where students are excited to learn and parents feel welcome. You go, Ms. Cameron!
Wake PTA Stars: Jen Schrage
Jen Schrage was recognized in April at the Wake PTA Council Night of Stars event. As the parent of three children, including two Joyner graduates and one current student, Jen has been making Joyner a better place for at least a decade. In addition to running the annual Night of Nonsense/Food Truck Frenzy since 2008, she took the lead on Science Olympiad this year to ensure the program would continue at Joyner. Thank you, Jen!
Named for the Joyner principal from 1989 to 1996, this award is presented annually to a “graduating” parent at Joyner who exemplifies outstanding leadership, friendship, encouragement, service and dedication. Arinn has served as a volunteer at Joyner in many capacities over the past eight years, but her leadership for the Teacher Mini-Grants Program and the Spring Fundraiser/Joyner 5K have been particularly significant to the PTA. Most importantly, she embodies the sense of family that makes Joyner such a welcoming place. Thank you, Arinn — we will miss you!
JYJ Foundation Fiesta is Tomorrow!
Tomorrow is the Foundation Fiesta. Tickets are still available, and you can also visit the website now to start bidding on your favorite Silent Auction items, even if you are not able to attend the event.
Grade level baskets will also be raffled off at the event and winners will be announced Friday morning. Raffle tickets are $10 and can be purchased:
- In the JYJ lobby today and tomorrow at drop-off.
- Online at https://joyner.auction-bid.org/microsite/items. Raffle tickets can be purchased under the Raffle Ticket category as an Instant Buy for $10 per ticket. Once a ticket has been purchased, we will drop your name in the corresponding bucket.
- You will also able to purchase raffle tickets at the event and drop your raffle ticket in the basket of choice.
Thanks to all the parents who contributed to these baskets! Here is a list of the baskets that will be included in the raffle, and there is a list of all items in each basket at the link above.
- Summer Fun
- All About Sports
- Family/Movie Night
- Parents Day Out
- Family Game Night
It’s going to be a great event and we hope to see you there!
Field Day on May 11 – Volunteers and Donations Needed
Field Day will be next Friday, May 11 at Kiwanis Park.
- Grades K-2 will participate from 9:15-11:15.
- Grades 3-5 will participate from 11:30-1:30.
Please send your child with a change of clothes (they may get wet!) and a water bottle. No bathing suits or flip flops please. Volunteers are needed to run fun stations — you can sign up on posters at Kiwanis Park 15 minutes before your child’s session.Donations are needed for juice boxes, water bottles and cookies — please drop them off with Mr. Poyer.
Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
When:Thursday, May 17
- 4:45-8 p.m.: Food Truck Frenzy (trucks accept cash & credit)
- 6-8 p.m.: Nonsense Show is ALWAYS FREE & ALWAYS FUN! This is a hilarious live show, performed by your very own Joyner Teachers & Staff. Yes, you get to laugh AT your teachers!
Where: Food Trucks in the carpool lane/loop, seating in the cafeteria, show under the overhang next to the carpool loop.
RSVP via the Facebook event page:https://www.facebook.com/events/876820515856712/. Just visit the page and click “Going” to RSVP!
MORE RSVPs = MORE Food Trucks!Parking is limited, so please walk or carpool if you can. Bring money for food trucks and a picnic blanket if you’d like to eat outside.
Teacher of the Year Film Screening
Attend a film screening and discussion led by local teachers on Monday, May 7, at 7 pm. at The Cary Theatre (122 East Chatham Street). Profiling a WCPSS high school teacher, the documentary film Teacher of the Year reveals the complex reality of teaching in the 21st century and explores the forces that influence a teacher’s performance for the competing needs of audiences made up of students, parents, administrators, other teachers, politicians, and the public at large. Learn more here and register for your free ticket here.
Summer Camp Opportunities
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer can’t wait to see YOU at camp this summer!
- Join Ms. Cameron as she goes full STEAM ahead, diving into hands-on science, technology, engineering, art and math activities.
- Create priceless one-of-a-kind 2D and 3D masterpieces with Mr. Fotta.
- Team up with Mr. Poyer and play all of your favorite P.E. games, along with a few new ones he has up his sleeve.
Camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3 and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Kindergarten Readiness and First Grade Refresher Camp
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering a rising kindergarten readiness camp this year and adding a special week for rising first graders, too! Register soon – there are only 20 slots for each week.
Camps are half-day (9-noon) and run June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form, which now includes where to send payment.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- May 3: JYJ Foundation Fiesta, 7:30-10:30 pm, Whitaker & Atlantic
- May 5: Science Olympiad division tournament
- May 8: Teacher appreciation luncheon
- May 11: Volunteer Breakfast, 8-8:30 am
- May 11: Field Day
- May 17: Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
- May 24: Kindergarten orientation, 8:45 am in the gym
- May 28: Holiday
- June 7: 5th grade graduation, 8-9 am
- June 8: 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game AND last day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.