IB Learner Profile Trait for November: Principled Learners act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. We take responsibility for our own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Gym Jam
- Teacher Appreciation Day
- Deadline for Yearbook Cover Contest Entries
- UNC-TV Documentary
- Dine Out Night
- Study Buddies Program
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Joyner Foundation presents Gym Jam this Thursday, Nov. 14th! This great new event is one our students will not soon forget! A school wide special recess for ALL students that will include games, dancing, giveaways and much more and will take place during each grade’s regularly scheduled recess time in the JYJ gym. With your support we will be able to raise money for JYJ and support our valuable teaching positions at the school. Our goal is to raise $5 per student (or $100 per classroom) by this Fri.14th. Ways to get involved and show your support:
- Volunteer. Click here to sign up for a shift and join us on Nov.14th!
- Donate – 3 easy ways!
- Send in a check with your child made payable to the Joyner Foundation with GYM JAM in the memo line.
- PayPal JYJoynerFoundation@gmail.com and write GYM JAM in the notes section
- Venmo @Blair-Kennedy-5 and write GYM JAM in the notes section
*Donations are not required for your child to participate. ALL students will take part in this fun event!
Teacher Appreciation Day this Friday, Nov. 15th! Our theme is “Mucho Gracias” – let’s show our teachers how much we care for them and appreciate all they do for our students!Helpful parent suggestions: Bring in their favorite fruit/snack, favorite flower or have your child write them a note of thanks!
Final Days for Yearbook Cover Design Entries Don’t miss this opportunity to share your creativity and design for the JYJ Yearbook cover contest. Get those colored pens & markers out and start drawing! Requirements for entry are the following:
- Must be in color
- Must be 8.5 x 11 sheet of paper
- Must be in portrait orientation (landscape will be not be accepted).
Submit your Joyner themed covers to your teacher or front office by Tuesday, Nov. 19th. JYJ staff will vote and the contest winner will be announced in mid December.
Recommended Upcoming Documentary on UNC-TV, Nov. 19th
UNC-TV presents “Resilience: The Biology of Stress & The Science of Hope”. The hour long film to be aired on Tuesday, Nov. 19th at 8 p.m. focuses on adverse childhood experiences (ACEs), what researchers have described as “the most important public health movement of our time.”
Resilience delves deep into the science behind ACEs and the havoc the syndrome can wreak on the brains and bodies of children, putting them at a greater risk for disease, homelessness, depression, substance abuse and other lifelong effects on health and behavior. The film also examines how the toxic stress produced by ACEs also creates long-term impact on our communities.
Past PTA’s across Wake County have led events to show this film and now it will be featured statewide on UNC-TV. This will occur during Resilience Week in NC, a statewide initiative to build awareness of childhood trauma, prevention and resilience, and will provide an opportunity for more North Carolinians to learn and get engaged in being connections to build resilience in children.
Save the Date – Dine Out and Spirit Night, Nov. 20th! Make plans to join your JYJ friends and family for Spirit Night on Wednesday, Nov. 20th from 4-8 p.m. at Panera Bread in North Hills. 20% of all dine-in, take-out and delivery sales to Joyner friends and family will benefit the Joyner PTA. *Important: You must show this online flyer or print a copy and take into Panera in order for our school to receive a portion of the purchase.
JYJ Study Buddies Wanted!
We are currently recruiting for Study Buddies for the 2019-2020 school year. This is an excellent way to get plugged in to the Joyner community and make a big difference in the lives of our students!
- Commitment is 15-20 minutes per child per week.
- Interested individuals must be registered with WCPSS as a volunteer.
- Teachers will have materials and subject matter each week for you to work on with your student(s).
- Students LOVE this time and look forward to it each week. Volunteers love it as much as the students!
If you or someone you know is interested in getting involved with this great program, please contact Alison Bentley (JYJ Study Buddies Chair).
- Nov. 14: JYJ Foundation’s “Gym Jam” (held during recess for all students to participate)
- Nov. 15: Teacher Appreciation Day
- Nov. 19: Yearbook Cover Contest Submissions are Due
- Nov. 20: JYJ “Dine Out” Fundraiser – Panera North Hills
- Nov. 27-29th: School Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.