IB Learner Profile Trait for November: Principled Learners act with integrity and honesty, with a strong sense of fairness, justice and respect for the dignity of the individual, groups and communities. We take responsibility for our own actions and the consequences that accompany them.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Treats for Troops
- Science Go Round
- Gym Jam
- Teacher Appreciation Day
- Dine Out Night
- Study Buddies Program
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Have Extra Halloween Candy? Looking to Get It Out of the House?!
Treats for Troops is a Halloween candy collection program – we’ll collect excess Halloween candy and send it to service members and veterans. Bring it by school this week – Jackie Jones is collecting candy donations between 8:00-8:30 a.m – also look out for the big orange box!
Science Go Round coming up this Friday, Nov. 8th! This fun-filled day of scientists and parents giving hands-on-demonstrations to our students has been a long standing tradition at our school. Will you consider volunteering your time and/or food donation? Click here to learn more and find out how you can get involved. *We are also in need of a Co-Chair of Science Go Round for next year. Contact Katie Cavillo to find out how you can get involved.
Get Ready for Gym Jam – November 14th! Our Joyner Foundation is proud to announce a great new event, GYM JAM! This is a school wide special recess for ALL students and will be held on Nov. 14th during each grade’s regularly scheduled recess time in the JYJ gym. Our students will enjoy games, dancing, giveaways and much more! Through this event, we are able to raise money for JYJ and support our valuable teaching positions at the school. Our goal is to raise $5 per student (or $100 per classroom) between now and Nov. 14th. How can you support?
- Volunteer. Click here to sign up for a shift and join us on Nov.14th!
- Donate – 3 easy ways!
- Send in a check with your child made payable to the Joyner Foundation with GYM JAM in the memo line.
- PayPal JYJoynerFoundation@gmail.com and write GYM JAM in the notes section
- Venmo @Blair-Kennedy-5 and write GYM JAM in the notes section
*Donations are not required for your child to participate. ALL students will take part in this fun event!
Teacher Appreciation Day – November 15th Let’s celebrate our wonderful teachers on Nov.15th with the theme, “Mucho Gracias”. Helpful parent suggestions: Bring in their favorite fruit/snack, favorite flower or have your child write them a note of thanks!
Save the Date – Dine Out and Spirit Night, November 20th! Make plans to join your JYJ friends and family for Spirit Night on Wednesday, Nov. 20th from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM at Panera Bread in North Hills. 20% of all dine-in, take-out and delivery sales to Joyner friends and family will benefit the Joyner PTA. *Important: You must show this flyer for us to receive a portion of the purchase. (paper or online version is fine)
JYJ Study Buddies Wanted!
We are beginning our recruiting for Study Buddies for the 2019-2020 school year. This is a great opportunity to get plugged in to the Joyner community and make a big difference in the lives of our students!
- The commitment is 15-20 minutes per child per week.
- You must be registered with WCPSS as a volunteer.
- Teachers will have materials and subject matter each week for you to work on with your student(s).
- Students LOVE this time and look forward to it each week. Volunteers love it as much as the students!
If you or someone you know is interested in getting involved with this great program, please contact Alison Bentley (JYJ Study Buddies Chair).
Additional Ways to Get Involved:
Co-Chairs and committee members for the upcoming 2020 5K. Contact Tiffany Chenery for more information.
Act Now…Final Days of No Fuss Fundraiser! Help us meet our goal!
JYJ is extremely grateful for all the support and contributions for this year’s No Fuss Fundraiser! This raises much needed funds for our school to maintain all the great programming, technology and events we have come to know and love about JYJ!
Update: We are behind on our goal of $25k and need your help! Please act now and take this quick and easy step to donate today. Every contribution makes a difference! Thank you for your continued support of JYJ!
- Nov. 8: Science Go Round
- Nov. 11: School Closed for Veteran’s Day
- Nov. 14: JYJ Foundation’s “Gym Jam” (held during recess for all students to participate)
- Nov. 15: Teacher Appreciation Day “Mucho Gracias”. Parent Suggestions: Bring in their favorite snack/fruit, flower, or have your child write them a note of thanks.
- Nov. 19: Yearbook Cover Contest Submissions are Due
- Nov. 20: JYJ “Dine Out” Fundraiser – Panera North Hills
- Nov. 27-29th: School Closed for Thanksgiving Holiday
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.