IB Learner Profile Trait for December: Open-Minded
We critically appreciate our own cultures and personal histories, as well as the values and traditions of others. We seek and evaluate a range of points of view, and we are willing to grow from the experience.
This Week’s News Flash:
- Book Fair – Dec 9-13th
- Classroom Spelling Bees – Thurs. 12/12
- Dewey’s Bakery Order Forms Due
- Collecting Jeans, Socks & Essentials for Note in the Pocket
- Joyner Chess Champs
- Shana Tucker: Tapestry of Songwriting
- Lost and Found
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
Final days of Joyner’s Annual Book Fair, last day this Fri. 13th! Don’t miss these easy opportunities to support our school and make this event a smashing success! 1.Shop with us. Book Fair will be open Mon 12/9-Thurs 12/12 from 7:30-4:00, Fri. 12/13 from 7:30-1:00. 2. Volunteer. Extra hands still needed these next few days. Click here to find a shift that fits your schedule. 3. Send in your spare change to our “One for All and All for Books!” campaign. There are buckets in the library and all money raised will be used to make sure that every child has the chance to shop our book fair. Look for yellow fliers and ziplock baggies from your child or just send them in with their money! Support literacy and support our school! All proceeds from our book fair directly support our media center. Thank you for supporting our JYJ family!
Classroom Spelling Bees this Thurs. 12thThe Joyner Classroom Spelling Bees for grades 3, 4 and 5 will be held during normal school hours on THURSDAY, December 12. Information about the Classroom Spelling Bee went home with your child before Thanksgiving, including a list of words that your child can use to prepare. If your child would like to study from the entire list of 450 Spelling Bee words, you may request a copy of the complete list in the office.
Dewey’s Bakery Order Forms Due this Fri. 13th
Order forms were sent in your child’s backpack. If you would like to purchase items, fill out the form and return along with payment to your child’s teacher by Dec. 13th. (Checks made payable to Joyner Foundation). Items will be available for pickup at school on Dec. 18th. Dewey’s is donating 50% of the total we spend back to the Joyner Foundation!
Donations of Jeans, Socks & Essentials for Note in the PocketJYJ is currently accepting donations for Note in the Pocket providing clothing and essentials to children enrolled in WCPSS who are in need.
- New and/or Gently Used Jeans – All sizes will be accepted, with the greatest need for the following sizes: Boys: Sizes 7, 8 and 12; Girls: Sizes 8,10 and 16; Womens: Sizes 16 and 18
- New socks
- Travel sized toiletries (toothpaste, soap, shampoo/conditioner, etc)
The drive will take place through Dec. 20. Marked bins will be located at the front entrance where donations may be placed. Thanks for your incredible support and generosity in serving our community!
Joyner wins Triangle Chess Tournament!
A big congratulations to Evan Mather, Patrick Scappino, and Mohamed Abdel-Hady, Joyner students who brought home a 1st place trophy from their first Triangle Chess tournament on Sunday! We are so very proud of you! The next round of chess at JYJ will be in March 2020 so stay tuned.
Shana Tucker: Tapestry of Songwriting
Last week the 5th grader’s collaborated with a local musician with support from a United Arts Grant and funding from the PTA. Building on the autobiographical writing they are working on for their Mighty Memoirs, the 5th graders worked together to write a song about what it’s like to be in Fifth Grade at JYJ. #artistsinschools @UnitedArtsCouncil
Click here to check out the Song Lyrics: “5th Grade is So Much FUN!”
Thanks to Shana Tucker, United Arts Council, our PTA and all those who made this special experience possible for our JYJ students!
Lost and Found Items
We continue to have an abundance of items left in our lost and found. Please see the Kindergarten hallway if your child is missing any items. It is highly recommended for all families to write their child’s name in jackets, lunchboxes, etc.
- Dec. 9-14: Book Fair (Mon-Thurs 7:30-4; Fri. 7:30-1)
- Dec. 12: Spelling Bee
- Dec. 13: Dewey’s Bakery Order Forms Due
- Dec. 20: School in session (Weather make-up day)
- Dec. 23-Jan. 3: Holiday Break, School Closed
- Jan. 6th: School Back in Session
- Jan. 31: PTA General Meeting 8:00 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 31: Principal’s Coffee 8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.