JY Joyner named a 2020 Magnet School of Excellence!!!
Congratulations to all of our students, teachers, staff and Joyner families – we are so proud of the recent announcement and recognition by the Magnet Schools of America naming JYJ a Magnet School of Excellence! A special thank you to our outstanding magnet coordinator, Ms. Sheryl Davis, for her hard work in continuing to support and build our program with our students and staff.
IB Learner Profile Trait for January: Inquirers
We nurture our curiosity, developing skills for inquiry and research. We know how to learn independently and with others. We learn with enthusiasm and sustain our love of learning throughout life. I am curious and like to ask questions in order to learn more.
This Week’s News Flash:
- PTA General Meeting & Principal’s Coffee
- Parent input needed – School Improvement Survey
- WAKE Up and Read
- National School Counseling Week
- Clothing Donation Request
- TEK Clubs Registration Open
- Updated – More Summer Camp Options
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
PTA General Meeting & Principals’s Coffee this Friday!
Make plans to join us for the General PTA meeting this Fri, January 31st at 8 am in the Media Center followed by the Principal’s coffee at 8:30 am. Hear updates from our Grounds Committee as well as info on the upcoming 5K! Parents are welcome to attend all PTA meetings!
Parent Input Needed – School Improvement Survey
JYJ’s School Improvement Committee is looking for parent input to learn how to better support families as you support YOUR students academically at home. There will be incentives for classrooms that get this survey filled out fastest! All responses needed by Feb. 6th.
Our goal is to get a response representing EACH student at JYJ. Click here to access the survey and complete today. THANK YOU for your help with this survey!
Link to access: https://forms.gle/6ndt8LTGXmm1Rh4h8.
WAKE Up And Read
Join us in collecting new and gently used books for children birth to 12 years old. Help support and bring the joy of reading to thousands of children across our WCPSS community. We will be collecting books until February 15th.
Let’s see which grade level can bring in the most books to help other children enjoy the books we all love. Box donations are welcome.
National School Counseling Week
Feb 4-8 is National School Counseling Week. We are truly blessed and grateful for the amazing work of our very own school counselor Andrea Burston who each day shows unwavering commitment to student achievement and success at Joyner.
Let’s all join together in thanking Ms. Burston for her hard work with our Joyner students and families!
Clothing Donation Request
Our JYJ health room is in desperate need of new girl leggings and/or boys sweatpants in neutral colors (black, navy or grey). All sizes needed. Please bring items to Elizabeth Ferriter in the front office.
TEK Club Registration is Open
TEK Clubs registration is still open! Clubs will run Feb 12- March 18 (Wednesdays 3:30-4:45). Forms and club listings may be found here: www.teachingenrichmentkids.com (under the Joyner Tab)
Please contact Duval Fisher to register: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Save the Date…JYJ 5KMark your calendars – Joyner’s annual Spring event, 5K Run/ Walk, is Saturday April 25th. This event aims to teach students about the benefits of making healthy lifestyle choices through the Healthy Choice marathon and culminating with a family event of the 5K Run/ Walk. The 5K also raises PTA money to fund annual programs for our school. Stay tuned, more info to come!
More Great Summer Camp Options Announced!
- PE, Art and Chemistry Camps – Click here for full details and registration form. Dates available in July and August. Led by Poyer (PE), Fotta (Art), Cameron (Chemistry).
- First Grade Refresher and Kindergarten Readiness – Click here for details. Contact Kate Johnston for more information: email@example.com or 919-757-4892.
These camps are open to the public – spread the word to others you know who may have interest.
- Jan. 29: School Closed – Teacher Workday
- Jan. 31: PTA General Meeting 8:00 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 31: Principal’s Coffee 8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Feb. 4: Girls on the Run Season Begins
- Feb. 11: PTA Board Meeting, 7:30 a.m.
- Feb. 12: TEK Clubs Begin
- Feb. 14: Teacher Appreciation, “Thanks for giving all your HEART”
- Feb. 17: School Closed, President’s Day
- Feb. 18: School Closed, Teacher Workday
- April 25: JYJ 5K
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.