IB Learner Profile Trait for February: BalancedWe understand the importance of balancing different aspects of our lives—intellectual, physical, and emotional—to achieve well-being for ourselves and others. We recognize our interdependence with other people and with the world in which we live. How do you balance everything in your life? At home? At school? In the community?
This Week’s News Flash:
- Thank you to our Counselors
- School Improvement Survey
- Volunteer and Donation Opportunities
- Grant Funded Student & Artist Collaborative
- TEK Clubs – Last Days to Register
- Teacher Appreciation Day Feb. 14th
- Summer Camp Options
Be sure to check out the bottom of each week’s NewsFlash for upcoming important dates. Also you can view the school and PTA calendar at (https://joynerpta.com/calendar/) and link it to your own Google Calendar. Want to learn or refresh on JYJ lingo? Check out our glossary of terms to get up to speed.
National School Counseling Week…Thank You To Our Counselors!
In celebration of National School Counseling Week, let’s take a moment and say thank you to our wonderful staff counselors – Andrea Burston, Brian Phillips and intern Taylor Hartline. Our students and Joyner family benefit greatly because of their unwavering commitment and support each day. Thank you!
School Improvement Survey – Share Your Input Today!
JYJ’s School Improvement Committee is looking for parent input to learn how to better support families as you support YOUR students academically at home. There will be incentives for classrooms that get this survey filled out fastest! All responses needed by Feb. 6th.
Our goal is to get a response representing EACH student at JYJ. Click here to access the survey and complete today. THANK YOU for your help with this survey!
Link to access: https://forms.gle/6ndt8LTGXmm1Rh4h8.
Consider These Great Opportunities To Give Back
Neighbor to Neighbor
Be a weekly mentor to Joyner kids at N2N! Neighbor to Neighbor (or N2N) is a community outreach organization in Southeast Raleigh. Not only is N2N a partner of Joyner Elementary; N2N serves many members of our Joyner family. N2N has a full waitlist of Joyner kids who needs mentors. It’s not a big commitment: 4:30-5:30 or 5:45-6:45 on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday evening. To sign up, complete the short form. For more information, contact Pat Dawson at 919-618-8119 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
WAKE Up And Read
Join us in collecting new and gently used books for children birth to 12 years old across Wake County. Donations collected through Feb. 15th and box donations are welcome.
Clothing Donations Requested
Our JYJ health room is in desperate need of new girl leggings and/or boys sweatpants in neutral colors (black, navy or grey). All sizes needed. Please bring items to Elizabeth Ferriter in the front office.
Mosaic Artpiece for Joyner Entrance Coming Soon
This week the fifth graders and fourth grade after school students are working together on a giant mosaic artpiece that will hang near the entrance to school. Thanks to a generous grant from the United Arts Council, funding by the PTA, and After Care, visiting Artist Jeannette Brossart has brought all the materials for our giant 3 foot x 10 foot mosaic to Mr. Fotta’s art room.
A cross disciplinary team (including Señora Onate from Spanish, Mr. Fotta, Art, Ms. Wilcox, 5th Grade), worked together on the creative concept, planning, and integrating the mosaic work into their respective curricula.
Great job team! As you can see from the first images coming out of this project – a great job was done by all!
TEK Clubs start next week
Clubs will run Feb 12- March 18 (Wednesdays 3:30-4:45). It’s not too late to register – forms and club listings may be found here: www.teachingenrichmentkids.com (under the Joyner Tab). Please contact Duval Fisher to register: email@example.com.
Teacher Appreciation Feb. 14th – “Thanks for giving all your HEART”
Let’s shower our teachers with love for our next Teacher Appreciation Day on Friday, Feb. 14th.
Parent Suggestions: favorite candy, flowers, handwritten note telling your teacher what you LOVE about them.
Links to Summer Camp Options:
- PE, Art and Chemistry Camps – Click here for full details and registration form. Dates available in July and August. Led by Poyer (PE), Fotta (Art), Cameron (Chemistry).
- First Grade Refresher and Kindergarten Readiness – Click here for details. Contact Kate Johnson for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org or 919-757-4892.
These camps are open to the public – spread the word to others you know who may have interest.
- Jan. 29: School Closed – Teacher Workday
- Jan. 31: PTA General Meeting 8:00 a.m., Media Center
- Jan. 31: Principal’s Coffee 8:30 a.m., Media Center
- Feb. 4: Girls on the Run Season Begins
- Feb. 11: PTA Board Meeting, 7:30 a.m.
- Feb. 12: TEK Clubs Begin
- Feb. 14: Teacher Appreciation Day, “Thanks for giving all your HEART”
- Feb. 17: School Closed, President’s Day
- Feb. 18: School Closed, Teacher Workday
- Feb. 28: Spirit Night, Sky Zone 4-8 p.m.
- April 25: JYJ 5K
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- JYJ Shutterfly Shopping Account
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.