IB Learner Profile Trait of the Month: Principled
Learners act with integrity and honesty. They have a strong sense of fairness and justice and respect the dignity of the rights of people everywhere. Learners understand the responsibility of our actions and the consequences.
In this Week’s NewsFlash:
- Reopening Plan & Helpful Links
- Joyner Jagwear & Mask Orders Pickup Nov. 11th
- General PTA meeting next week
- 2020 JYJ Book Fair
- Volunteers Needed for Spring Fundraiser
- Free Meals for all WCPSS Students
- Holiday Assistance Available
- Magnet Information & Share Your Testimonials
- Calendar Reminders
Take a moment and familiarize your family with the procedures and reopening plan.
Please note that our staff is required to ask every screening question upon exiting buses, cabs, carpool and in our walker area. Please be patient and understanding of this county wide safety protocol. All parents must remain with their child until they have passed all screening stations.
Guardians, please also note that no child can be checked out after 2:30 per our usual school policy.
More Helpful Links:
- Master Schedule for Virtual Academy
- Joyner Student Information- 1st Semester 2020
- WCPSS Return to Campus Checklist
- Want to change your registration for second semester? (Elementary school application is open Dec 2-9.)
Pick Up Details for Your Recent Orders – Jagwear & Jaguar Masks
Jagwear is in and ready for pickup on 11/11
- Jagwear orders will be distributed on Wednesday, Nov.11th from 11AM to 1PM in the carpool loop under the overhang at Joyner.
Jaguar Mask Sale Pick-up Details
- If you purchased a mask from the Foundation’s Mask sale, they will be ready for pick up on Wednesday, Nov. 11th from 11AM to 1PM in the carpool loop under the overhang at Joyner. We cannot wait to see those smiling Jaguars around campus and around town!!
General PTA Meeting on Tuesday Join us on a google meet to reflect on the start of school, hear about upcoming PTA activities, and vote on the PTA budget. Tuesday, 11/10 @ 7:30PM. See our latest email for login instructions.
2020 JYJ Book Fair Online and In-Store with Quail Ridge Books This year, we are trying something new for the Book Fair, which runs December 4-13. The PTA has partnered with Quail Ridge Books for an online and in-store book fair. The Joyner PTA will earn commission for online orders and in-store purchases of books that are in stock or readily available. Purchases can be made in store at 4209-100 Lassiter Mill Road in North Hills, Raleigh or online at quailridgebooks.com. The great thing about partnering with Quail Ridge Books is that people can shop from anywhere via the online option. So share information about the fair with grandparents, aunt, uncles, cousins, and anyone else you know. When they put “Joyner Book Fair” in the comments of their order during the fair, JYJ will earn a commission and they’ll also be supporting our local independent bookseller. As an added bonus, there will not only be a great selection of books for our kids, but there’s a great selection for grown ups as well. Joyner Elementary School students, parents, staff and community members can order books and items online for pick-up at the store or to ship, and/or shop in store December 4-13. (For teachers, staff, parents and school community members who are in the Quail Ridge Readers Club and want their purchases to earn a commission for Joyner Elementary School, the Readers Club discount will not apply. Free gift wrap is available.) Keep an eye out for more details about the book fair in the coming weeks. If you have any questions, please contact Leslie de Haven (see email for Jill’s contact info).
Volunteers Needed for Foundation’s Spring Fundraiser We are already preparing for our biggest fundraiser of the year and are in need of volunteers. If you would like to get involved at any capacity to assist with this event, please email Jill Darnell (see email for Jill’s contact info).
Free Breakfast and Lunch for All Students
Students in all grade levels can receive a free breakfast and lunch from an operating location until December 31*. Please visit https://www.wcpss.net/food for a list of operating sites. Students are not required to visit their assigned school and do not have to be present to receive meals. The curbside meal service will operate Monday through Friday from 10:45 a.m. to 12:45 p.m. Students will receive breakfast and lunch at no cost! No student ID number required to receive meals.
Our holiday season is approaching, and we will have assistance available:
- If you are in need of Thanksgiving meal assistance, please complete our online form in English or Spanish by Monday 11/02
- If you are in need of Christmas/holiday assistance, please complete our online form in English or Spanish by Monday 11/02
If you would like to donate items for holiday assistance (thank you!), directions will be provided to parents on Wednesday 11/18 in the Joyner weekly eblast on how to (virtually) select a tag and return items to school. If you have any questions, please contact Andrea Burston (see email for Andrea’s contact info).
Magnet Season & Seeking Videos and Messages
Magnet season is approaching and JYJ must approach our recruiting of new students in new and different ways. We’d like to seek your help in this process!
JYJ families know how unique our magnet program is and your voice of experience would be invaluable for prospective families. Would you consider sharing a video or written message from your family that expresses your joy in our magnet program, IB and Spanish and what it has meant for your family? These messages will be used for prospective families to view. Please send videos or written messages to Mrs. Sheryl Davis-Jackson, (see email for Sheryl’s contract info).
Magnet Application Acceptance Period:
The magnet and year-round application period will begin Oct. 15, 2020 and end Jan. 28, 2021. Applications are NOT first-come, first-served. Families will be notified mid-February 2021 if they received a seat at an application school. Visit the WCPSS website for more details. If your child is not currently enrolled in WCPSS, you must register your child at your base school before submitting the magnet application.
For our 5th grade magnet families, you have priority in applying to these 2 IB middle schools:
- 11/10 – General PTA meeting at 7:30PM (See email for login instructions)
- 11/11 – Holiday
- 11/11 – Jagwear & Foundation Mask Pick-up 11a.m.- 1p.m. (Carpool Loop)
- 11/16 – All Pre K-3 students and regional program in Plan B will report on a daily basis
- 11/16 – Grades 4-5 will begin their cohort rotations and continue in rotation throughout the end of the semester.
- 11/18 – Asynchronous Day
- 11/23 – Remote Learning Day
- 11/24 – Remote Learning Day
- 11/25 – 11/27 – Fall Break
- 12/2 – Remote Learning Day
- 12/4-12/13 – JYJ Book Fair; Online and in-store options at Quail Ridge Books this year (More details to follow.)
- 12/16 – Remote Learning Day