We’re only into the second week of school, but we’re already full speed ahead! Lots of useful info in this week’s NewsFlash, so get ready.
- Looking forward to seeing you at Open House on Thursday! The first classroom session runs from 5-5:45 p.m. Parents are then invited to the PTA general meeting in the gym from 5:45-6:15, followed by the second classroom session from 6:15-7:00. During the classroom sessions, just head to your child’s classroom or grade level team area to hear from the teacher about what to expect this year. Only have one teacher at Joyner? Then just attend either classroom session.
- Have you seen the PTA fundraising form that went viral last week? Joyner PTA is so ahead of the trend with our No-Fuss Fundraiser! Check out the clever form from a school in Dallas, TX, then click on over to the PTA website to make your gift for this school year. Remember, every dollar helps fund enrichment opportunities for students, technology tools for the school and appreciation treats for our teachers and staff.
- Interested in a new volunteer opportunity?
- Don’t forget to complete the WCPSS volunteer registration form online in the media center. That’s a great thing to check off your list at Open House on Thursday.
- The Spelling Bee Committee is looking for new members to learn from the experts. It’s a fairly limited time commitment — materials are distributed in October, Classroom Bees are held in early December, and the School Bee is in late January. Sign up on your MemberHub — click the Dashboard link at the top of the page and find the “Join Open Hubs” link on the right — or contact Trina Griffin at email@example.com for details.
- The Joyner Author’s Guild (JAG) is holding an interest meeting this Thursday at 8:30 a.m. in the PTA/JAG office in the main lobby. Volunteer commitment is only one hour a week, but makes a huge difference. JAG publishes class bios, Writer’s Wall of Fame and many more written projects for Joyner teachers and students. Contact Suzi Landis at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- The Science Go Round Committee is looking for volunteers to presentto Joyner students at our annual daylong science event on Friday, Nov. 13. It’s a fun-filled day when scientists and engineers give hands-on demonstrations to our students. Anyone who has an expertise that is related to science and wants to share that with children in a hands-on way is welcome to participate as a presenter. Contact Elizabeth Altman at email@example.com or 919-523-1266 for more information.
- Girls on the Run registration is open now through Sept. 9 for 3rd, 4th and 5th grade girls! There are only 15 spots available — click here for details and registration. Scholarships are available. Contact Kelly Diard at 919.641.6191 (cell/text) or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Show your Joyner pride! Pick up your order form at Open House and view sample colors and sizes of t-shirts, long-sleeved t-shirts, hoodies and shorts — or you can find order forms in files section of the Joyner hub. All orders need to be prepaid and will be delivered by early October.
- The Summer Reading Challenge celebration is set for the afternoon on Friday, Sept. 11. Be sure your kids turn in their forms by this Friday in order to be eligible.
- Have questions about how to use MemberHub? Our technology chair, Matt Harrell, will be on hand at the PTA table during Open House to help out. He’s also holding a training session for room parents on Thursday, Sept. 10, from 8:30 – 9:15 a.m. in Ms. Bell’s technology lab in the media center. In the meantime, don’t forget to update your MemberHub profile and link your account with your family members.
- Check the complete PTA calendar for a full listing of dates:
- 9/4 Early release dismissal at 12:30 (after school care available starting at 12:30)
- 9/4 PTA-sponsored “Fun Food Friday” for Teacher Appreciation
- 9/4 Summer Reading Challenge forms due
- 9/9 GOTR registration closes
- 9/10 MemberHub training session
- 9/17 Dine-out night at Chick-Fil-A North Hills
Have a question you’d like answered or an announcement to share in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Just reply to this message and let us know.