Volunteers make Science-Go-Round happen
Our 22nd annual Science-Go-Round — a day when scientists and parents present hands-on demonstrations that give students the opportunity to see how science is used in the real world — will be held Friday, Nov. 13, from 8:30 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
Volunteers are needed to make the day possible, including:
- Assist presenters with parking and unloading/loading their supplies
- Assist presenters in the classroom
- Assist with serving a catered lunch for presenters
- Loan a handcart or dolly for use during unloading/loading
With a variety of shift times and jobs available, volunteers do not need to help out for the entire event. Science-Go-Round has something for everyone and absolutely no science experience is needed. Just click this link to the Google sign up form. If you need more info, contact Hannah Boston at email@example.com.
Looks like Old Navy, but it’s actually JYJ
Lost-and-found items on display in the front lobby of school — please check the racks to see if anything belongs to your family. On Friday, remaining items will be packed up for donation to children in need. If you are able to volunteer to wash remaining items before we donate them, please contact Julie Dalton at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Science Olympiad starts next week
Did you know that last year JYJ sent two teams to compete in NC Science Olympiad for the first time? We won 3rd place all around with many individual medals! This year’s Science Club will begin Monday, Nov. 2, from 3:30-4:30 in the media center. The club is strictly for 3rd – 5th graders who are interested in competing in a spring tournament.
The goal is to expose kids to the science content for each tournament event. All 19 events align with NC Standards. Students can pick up to 3 events to focus on. In December, students will be tested on their knowledge and 36 students will be selected to represent JYJ on either the varsity or junior varsity team. After winter break, only team members will participate in Science Club. We will compete on one of the following dates pending availability when registering the team: 3/19, 4/2, 4/16, or 5/7.
Parent volunteers are essential to the success of this program. Please contact Heather Pelletier (email@example.com) if you are interested in helping on Mondays from 3:30-4:30 or serving as a mentor/coach for spring competition.
Last chance to enter the yearbook cover and Reflections contests
Don’t forget to turn in your entries for the yearbook cover and the PTA Reflections contests by this Friday!
- Yearbook: Submissions are due to classroom teachers. Be sure you start with an 8.5×11 page in portrait orientation and use markers, crayons or colored pencils for your illustration. Consider using any Joyner-related themes, not just jaguars.
- Reflections: Submissions are due to Mr. Del. Click here for details.
- October is Disability History & Awareness Month
- Oct. 29: Tie-dye day for spirit week
- Oct. 30: Halloween day (not costumes) for spirit week
- Oct. 30: First quarter report cards go home
- Oct. 30: Yearbook cover and Reflections entires due
- Nov. 7: WCPSS Magnet Fair
- Nov. 11: Holiday
- Nov. 12: Picture make-up day
- Nov. 13: Science-Go-Round
- Nov. 25: Teacher workday