Shirts on for club pictures this Thursday
The Yearbook Committee will be taking club pictures in the front foyer area on Feb. 25 — that’s tomorrow — beginning at 8:15 a.m. Be sure your child wears his/her club t-shirt to school for the following groups:
– Odyssey of the Mind
– Science Olympiad
– Battle of the Books
– JYJ News
– Safety Patrol
– Gold Choir
– Girls on the Run
Win points with your kids
You know how awesome it is to open up your yearbook in June and see fun photos of yourself with your friends? So great, right? Help the Yearbook Committee ensure that your kids are delighted when they get their books by sending in photos (actual size) you’ve taken this year to Susie Petretich at firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible. We rely on parents for most of our pictures — please send photos from field trips, Jamboree, the dance-a-thon, classroom candids, Spanish dancing, school awards, the 5K and other Joyner events. Only 3 more weeks to accept pictures, so don’t delay!
And while you’re sending pictures, don’t forget to place yearbook orders by March 14. Just go to ybpay.lifetouch.com and use school code 10746716 to order online.
Register, volunteer and donate for the JYJ 5K
Less than two weeks left in our Healthy Choice Marathon! The Joyner 5K takes place on Sunday, March 6, at 2 p.m. behind the school. All proceeds go to PTA’s 2016 project: improving our performance/play space under the overhang at school. That includes updating the sound system, enhancing technology and building a new stage. Since all our school events take place in that space, it would be a real benefit to all Joyner kids and families.
- Register online to run or walk in the 5K.
- Sign up to volunteer and help with preparations before, during and after the event.
- Donate to the Classroom Challenge online via PayPal at the JYJ PTA website.
- Sponsorship forms for the walk/run are available online.
- Run Club continues on Thursday for students who registered for the club. You can still sign up to participate in the last week if you haven’t already.
- WAKE Up and Read book drive drive goal is 2,600 books by Feb. 26.
Fifth grade teams ready for Battle of the Books
Best wishes to our 5th grade Battle of the Books teams! Joyner is taking two teams and a total of 24 students to compete against four other Wake County elementary schools in the book-quiz tournament this Saturday. Kudos to Ms. Arch, Ms. Lewis, Ms. Pardo, Ms. Severn and Ms. Hale for coaching our teams! More than 30 5th graders have been participating in the team meetings each week — check out the list of books they’ve been reading this year.
Enrichment clubs still available
We had a great turn out for TEK club registration. If you missed club registration last week, there are still spaces available in some clubs. Club descriptions are on the TEK website. Clubs will begin next Wednesday, March 2, and will run for 6 sessions. Cost is $135. Please contact Duval Fisher with any questions at email@example.com or 919-612-2982.
Parent information meetings
Looking for more information about parent meetings for Single Subject Acceleration and Middle School Math Placement? Visit the Joyner website. If you have questions about either process, contact AIG teachers Anna Young at firstname.lastname@example.org or Mandy Peters at email@example.com.
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- February lunch menu
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Feb. 27: Battle of the Books tournament
- March 4: Early release and teacher appreciation (“You make us brighter!” — click here for updated classroom staff assignment list)
- March 5: Odyssey of the Mind tournament
- March 6: JYJ 5K, 2 p.m.
- March 17: Dine-out night at Chick-Fil-A
- March 19: Science Olympiad tournament
- March 24: School day (snow make-up day)
- March 25: Spring break begins
- April 21: JY Joyner Foundation Gala, 7 p.m. at the Merrimon-Wynne House