Let us help you help us
We want to make it SOOOOO easy for you to contribute your time, energy and funds to the PTA to help keep Joyner a fabulous place to work and learn. Click any or all of the links below to get started:
- Join the PTA. Even if you can’t come to meetings and you don’t have a lot of time for volunteering, we still need your membership in the Joyner PTA. Just $5 gets you an individual membership or $10 for a family, which gets your spouse/partner signed up, too. Our goal is to have at least 425 PTA members at Joyner, so help us be sure our voices are heard at the county and state levels.
- Make a donation. When you join, add what you can to your membership payment to contribute to our No-Fuss Fundraiser. We’re so grateful to all the families (including grandparents!) who make a financial gift to help the PTA implement all the great academic, cultural, athletic, enrichment and appreciation programs throughout the year! Help us reach our $25,000 goal so that we don’t have to reduce programming for this school year.
- Volunteer in the media center. Ms. Hale needs help in the library, mainly checking in books and getting them back on the shelves. Ideally, she would like to have a volunteer each morning between 8:00 and 8:30 (click the link for the sign-up), but books can be checked in and shelved anytime during the day — even dropping by for 15 minutes can make a big impact. Contact Helen Green at HelenHeathGreen@gmail.com with questions.
- Make plans for Science Go Round. We still need a few people to help plan our annual Science Go Round, a hands-on, all-school-day science spectacular. Contact Leigh Wolitski at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
- Buy Jagwear. All the cool kids will be wearing it year-round, but you MUST place your orders by Sept. 30. No more sales this year. Forms are available online.
- Eat at Chick-fil-A. Specifically, join your JYJ friends at the North Hills CFA on Thursday, Sept. 29, for spirit night from 4-8 p.m. CFA will donate 15% of sales to the PTA — be sure to invite your neighbors and tell them it’s your pleasure to represent Joyner.
Required volunteer registration only takes a second
If you plan on volunteering in any way this year (and we know you want to!), you MUST complete the WCPSS registration before Oct. 31. Just stop by the media center (or any Wake County public school) and fill out the online form — it’s really quick, especially if you’ve registered in years past. You must complete and be approved (which takes additional time) before being allowed to work alone with groups of Joyner children.
Start practicing your picture smile
School pictures are next Thursday, Sept. 29. Order forms will come home with students, but go ahead and make those haircut appointments and let your children start choosing their most memorable outfits.
Teacher/Staff Appreciation next Friday
For those of you who like to plan ahead, next Friday will be our first Joyner Teacher/Staff Appreciation Day (and early release). The PTA will provide the goods for “Fun Food Friday,” but we invite all the kids to join in our theme: “It’s going to be a SUPER school year!” Our teachers are SUPERHEROES – have your child write their teacher/staff member a note telling them what the teacher’s/staff member’s super power is. Let them have fun and be creative! Be sure to check the staff/specialist assignment list — each classroom is asked to celebrate a specific person to be sure our whole school knows how much we love them. (If you REALLY like to plan ahead, here’s the full schedule of appreciation dates and themes for the year.)
After-school club registration next week
Descriptions for the TEK after-school enrichment clubs are now available online. Look for TEK registration forms in your child’s folder. Forms may be turned in by parents or students on Thursday, Sept. 29, from 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the media center. TEK employs Joyner teachers to lead the clubs, which will run for six consecutive Wednesdays from Oct. 12- Nov. 16 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Club cost is $135 per student. Contact TEK (Duval Fisher & Julie Sullivan) at email@example.com or visit http://www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com for more details.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Sept. 29: School picture day
- Sept. 29: TEK club sign-ups, 8-8:30 a.m., media center
- Sept. 29: Spirit night at Chick-fil-A at North Hills, 4-8 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Sept. 30: Last day to buy Jagwear
- Oct. 21: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Oct. 21: Joyner Jamboree
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.