Eat mor chikn
Make plans to have dinner at the North Hills CFA this Thursday, Sept. 29, for Joyner’s first spirit night of the year. CFA will donate 15% of sales from 4-8 p.m. to the PTA — be sure to invite your neighbors and tell them it’s your pleasure to represent Joyner.
Last call for Jagwear
Stop by the school entrance this morning to check out the colors, styles and sizes for this year’s Jagwear line. Don’t get left behind — go ahead and buy gifts for the year now. You MUST place your orders by Sept. 30. Did we mention no more sales this year? Forms are available online.
Join PTA, give to No Fuss Fundraiser
We know you’re probably tired of hearing about it — but not as tired as you would be if you were “helping” your child sell cookie dough or wrapping paper or coupon books or some other product. If you’ve already joined and donated, THANK YOU! If you haven’t done it yet, just click through to the PTA website now and mark it off your list.
Need a haircut before Thursday?
Warm up your smile and get your outfit ready — school pictures are this Thursday, Sept. 29. Order forms went home with students last week. Please note that you do have to pay 6.75% sales tax on your order — if you’ve already sent your in to your child’s teacher, please update your amount to include the tax.
Teacher/Staff Appreciation this Friday
Don’t let your kids forget to write a note to their teachers (including their staff/specialist) for this Friday’s appreciation day. Our theme is “It’s going to be a SUPER school year!” Our teachers are SUPERHEROES – have your child write their teacher/staff member a note telling them what the teacher’s/staff member’s super power is. Let them have fun and be creative! Be sure to check the staff/specialist assignment list. (As a side note, the “Favorite Things” forms will be available on MemberHub in the next few weeks.)
After-school club registration tomorrow
Registration forms may be turned in by parents or students tomorrow 9/29 from 8-8:30 a.m. in the media center — enrollment is first come first served. Descriptions for the TEK after-school enrichment clubs are available online. TEK employs Joyner teachers to lead the clubs, which will run for six consecutive Wednesdays from Oct. 12- Nov. 16 from 3:30-4:45 p.m. Club cost is $135 per student. Contact TEK (Duval Fisher & Julie Sullivan) at email@example.com or visit http://www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com for more details.
Sign up for OM by Friday
Students interested in joining an Odyssey of the Mind team at Joyner must complete the application by Friday, Sept. 30. Click here for the online application. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
More ways to volunteer at JYJ
Looking for a direct way to impact students and teachers at school? We have lots of good options for you!
- Joyner’s PTA is launching a Study Buddies program to pair adult volunteers with students in each grade that need a little extra one-on-one time reading or doing class work — the goal is to match pairs for the school year to meet for 15-30 minutes. Times will vary between early morning, lunch and afternoon. Instead of racing off after drop-off or sitting in carpool waiting for school to get out, come inside and read with a student in need of a little more academic encouragement! No prior teaching experience necessary — we will hold a training session to get you prepared. Study Buddies is a great way to help support academic growth at Joyner and also help our kids reach their full potential as learners. If you are interested, please email Kate Parke at email@example.com — and don’t forget to register as a WCPSS volunteer!
- Ms. Hale needs support checking in books and getting them back on the shelves. Click this link for the MemberHub sign-up to volunteer in the media center. Ideally, she would like to have a volunteer each morning between 8:00 and 8:30, but books can be checked in and shelved anytime during the day. Contact Helen Green at HelenHeathGreen@gmail.com with questions. (Need a distraction? Check out #letmelibrarianthatforyou on Twitter or Instagram.)
- The Spelling Bee chairperson is looking for volunteers to help make copies of and distribute copies of the spelling word list. Classroom bees will start in December, but lists need to go out to students in the next few weeks. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to help out.
- The Joyner Jamboree will be here before you know it! In addition to marking your calendar for Oct. 21 for this fun-filled, family-friendly event, please sign up in MemberHub to volunteer before, during and after the Jamboree.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Sept. 29: School picture day
- Sept. 29: TEK club sign-ups, 8-8:30 a.m., media center
- Sept. 29: Spirit night at Chick-fil-A at North Hills, 4-8 p.m.
- Sept. 30: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Sept. 30: Last day to buy Jagwear
- Oct. 21: Early release and teacher appreciation
- Oct. 21: Joyner Jamboree
- Nov. 8: 2-hour delay for all WCPSS schools (election day)
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.