Many thanks to all who helped make last week’s Book Fair and Hour of Code events such a success! Congratulations to Book Fair chair Laura Moreschi and Hour of Code coordinators Matt Harrell and Jennifer Bell on a great week for Joyner students!
Bee ready on Friday
Don’t forget to dress in your most bee-tastic yellow and black apparel this Friday in honor of classroom Spelling Bees to be held in all 3rd-5th grade classrooms. The top two spellers will advance to the school bee. Your child should have received the list of study words, rules and resources last month. If you do not have the word list, please see your child’s teacher.
Click here to volunteer for the schoolwide Spelling Bee on Thursday, Jan. 19, including setting up in the gym from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. and helping with breakdown from 6:30 to 7 p.m. as well as chaperones for the kids before and during the bee. Our pronouncer this year is Loretta Bohn, a former Scripps National Spelling Bee contestant!
Gift for Mr. Charles
Do you love to start your school day with a greeting from our delightful crossing guard, Mr. Charles? Then let him know how much you appreciate him by contributing towards a Christmas gift. Ameshia Turlington will be in the front lobby this Friday to collect donations from any walker families who would like to contribute.
Socks and toiletries accepted through Dec. 21
One more week to donate new socks for Note in the Pocket, which provides clothing to children in need enrolled in WCPSS schools, as well as travel-size toiletries (toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc for men and women) for Interact of Wake County. We’ve already collected more than 600 pairs of socks — can we make 800 by next week? Look for collection bins at the school’s front entrance through Dec. 21. Thanks to all who have already donated!
Give new life to old markers
As you clean out your craft drawers to make room for new supplies, please remember that Joyner is collecting dried up markers again this year for the Crayola ColorCycle Project. The collection bin is in Mr. Fotta’s room this year. We can recycle all shapes, sizes, brands and styles of markers!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Dec. 16: Classroom spelling bees
- Dec. 22: Teacher workday
- Dec. 22: J.Y. Joyner Foundation event with The Blasa Gliders and The Geb at Kings Barcade (14 W. Martin St., Raleigh), 7:30 p.m.
- Dec. 23-Jan. 2: Winter break (school closed)
- Jan. 16: Holiday
- Jan. 19: Schoolwide spelling bee, 3 p.m.
- Jan. 20: Early release and teacher appreciation (Theme: “We couldn’t have ‘PICKED’ a better teacher than you!” Have your child bring their teacher/staff member’s favorite fruit.)
- Jan. 27: Teacher workday
- March 5: Joyner 5K