Today is the last day of school for 2016! If we could wrap up our gratitude for all that you do to make Joyner a wonderful learning space for all children, we’d have to use an entire package of wrapping paper to cover the box. We hope you’re able to make some time to rest during the break and enjoy time together — we’ll see you at school again on Jan. 3!
Socks and toiletries accepted today
If you’ve been procrastinating, now’s your final chance to donate new socks for Note in the Pocket, which provides clothing to children in need enrolled in WCPSS schools, as well as travel-size toiletries (toothpaste, soap, shampoo, conditioner, etc for men and women) for Interact of Wake County. We’ve already collected more than 600 pairs of socks — can we make 800 by next week? Look for collection bins at the school’s front entrance and a huge thank you to all who have already donated!
Spelling Bee sign-up for January
Congratulations to all the winners in our classroom bees last week! Click here to volunteer for the schoolwide Spelling Bee on Thursday, Jan. 19, including setting up in the gym from 2:30 to 3:15 p.m. and helping with breakdown from 6:30 to 7 p.m. as well as chaperones for the kids before and during the bee. Our pronouncer this year is Loretta Bohn, a former Scripps National Spelling Bee contestant!
Give new life to old markers
As you clean out your craft drawers to make room for new supplies, please remember that Joyner is collecting dried up markers again this year for the Crayola ColorCycle Project. The collection bin is in Mr. Fotta’s room this year. We can recycle all shapes, sizes, brands and styles of markers!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Dec. 22: J.Y. Joyner Foundation event with The Blasa Gliders and The Geb at Kings Barcade (14 W. Martin St., Raleigh), 7:30 p.m.
- Dec. 22: Teacher workday
- Dec. 23-Jan. 2: Winter break (school closed)
- Jan. 16: Holiday
- Jan. 19: Schoolwide spelling bee, 3 p.m.
- Jan. 20: Early release and teacher appreciation (Theme: “We couldn’t have ‘PICKED’ a better teacher than you!” Have your child bring their teacher/staff member’s favorite fruit.)
- Jan. 27: Teacher workday
- March 5: Joyner 5K