Happy School Bus Driver Appreciation Week — be sure to thank your bus driver! In North Carolina, more than 800,000 students board over 13,000 school buses each day. Learn more about school bus safety at http://www.ncbussafety.org.
Support Joyner 5K to fund enhanced learning
Wondering why you should donate to the Classroom Challenge, buy a cheerleader sign or sponsor the Joyner 5K? The JYJ PTA will use the funds to bring innovative technology to Joyner students by:
- Providing tech updates and advances to daily learning in Spanish, art, PE, technology and music classes;
- Introducing robotics learning and transformational knowledge, including early coding skills; and
- Remodeling and upgrading multi-media equipment and services, with a focus on the student-operated daily WJYJ News.
So here’s how you can help:
- Collect some spare change to bring in for the Classroom Challenge (great prizes for the winning classes).
- Sign up in MemberHub to volunteer on race day.
- Register online to run/walk on March 5.
- Sign up as a 5K sponsor on the PTA website.
- Did we mention you can volunteer on race day? And you don’t even have to run!
- Sponsor an awesome race course cheerleader sign like the ones shown here:
Keep up the great work!
As you get ready for the 5K, don’t forget all the other activities leading up to the big day. We’re now into week 2 of the Healthy Choice Marathon!
- The theme for week 2: Be fit with friends! Exercise with a friend or family member each day.
- Keep encouraging your teachers and staff in the weekly staff wellness challenges! This week we’ll see who can complete the most (different) exercise activities in a week. Next week is the hashtag challenge — who can post a healthy choice(s) using our #JYJ175K hashtag on social media?
- Reading books is part of a healthy life — you can help gets books to kids who need them by donating gently used books at school as part of the WAKE Up and Read annual book drive. If Joyner collects 2,600 books, students get to dress up as their favorite book character on Friday, March 3.
Run Club starts tomorrow
Run Club starts this Thursday after school for all who are already signed up. Thanks to all the volunteers who stepped up to make the JYJ Run Club possible — we still need volunteers for tomorrow, Feb. 16! Contact Shanna Schroeder (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are able to help. Parents must pick up their athletes at Kiwanis Park at 4 p.m. or sign a release for them to be delivered to JYJ afterschool.
If you missed out on tomorrow’s session, you can still click here to register your child and click here to sign up as a volunteer for Feb. 23 and March 2. Registration closes on Tuesdays at midnight each week and children must be registered to attend. Parents are strongly encouraged to volunteer twice and are not required to run.
Send in yearbook photos
Time is running out to get your photos in the JYJ yearbook! As you take pictures on field trips, while visiting your child at lunch and attending school events, please take a minute to send those pictures to email@example.com. If you’re sending from a phone, make sure to choose “actual size.” Your kids love seeing themselves in the yearbook and you can make that happen!
TEK Club spring preview
Tailored Enrichment Kids is excited to return this spring to JYJ with the TEK After School Club Program. Clubs will run on Wednesdays for six sessions, March 22-May 3, from 3:30-4:45 a.m. TEK supervises students prior to clubs starting. Club cost is $135 per child and participation supports the JYJ staff members who teach the clubs. Registration forms will go home Wednesday, Feb. 22, and registration will be on Wednesday, March 1, from 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the media center. Full club descriptions are on the TEK website at http://www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com/joyner-clubs.html. Please contact Duval Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Want to do more?
- Sign up to help Ms. Hale in the media center.
- Bring in new and used shoes for Mr. Fotta’s collection to support his family’s adoption trip.
- Want to serve as a committee chair for next year’s PTA? Just reply to this email and let us know what committee you’re interested in.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Feb. 16: Run Club, 3-4 p.m.
- Feb. 20: Snow make-up day (school is in session)
- Feb. 23: Run Club, 3-4 p.m.
- March 1: TEK Club registration, 8-8:30 a.m.
- March 2: Run Club, 3-4 p.m.
- March 3: Carlotta Santana Dance Ensemble performance for all grades
- March 5: Joyner 5K
- March 20-24: Writer-in-residents with 4th graders
- March 22: Number Drummer performance for all grades
- March 31: Snow make-up day (school is in session)
- April 10-14: Spring break