Congratulations to our OM teams!
Congratulations to students and parent volunteers from the four Joyner teams who participated in the K-2 entries for Odyssey of the Mind last weekend! We love hearing about your creativity and innovation. Our 3rd-5th grade teams will compete next month. Joyner’s PTA is proud to sponsor the JYJ OM program.
TEK Club spring schedule available
Tailored Enrichment Kids is excited to return this spring to JYJ with the TEK After School Club Program. Clubs will run on Wednesdays for six sessions, March 22-May 3, from 3:30-4:45 a.m. TEK supervises students prior to clubs starting. Club cost is $135 per child and participation supports the JYJ staff members who teach the clubs. Registration forms will go home today, and registration will be on Wednesday, March 1, from 8:00-8:30 a.m. in the media center. Full club descriptions are on the TEK website at http://www.tailoredenrichmentkids.com/joyner-clubs.html. Please contact Duval Fisher at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Register for the 5K and bring in your spare change
Don’t wait until it’s too late! Register for the JYJ 5K Run/Walk right now at https://joynerpta.com/5k-running-club/. You must register online by Sunday, Feb. 26, to guarantee a t-shirt. New this year on race day (March 5), the PTA is hosting a 5K Fun Fair from 1-4 p.m. complete with family activities, a photo booth, a DJ, Locopops food truck and much more. Come out and make an afternoon of it! And don’t forget to sign up in MemberHub to volunteer on race day
The last day of the Classroom Challenge is this Friday, Feb. 24! All donations must be in by Friday to be counted in the challenge. Grade winners and overall winner will be announced on Monday, Feb. 27. Donate via cash or check to your teacher or at school dropoff or online at https://joynerpta.com/5k-running-club/. Funds will go toward bringing innovative technology into Joyner classrooms, including robotics, coding and multimedia equipment. Questions? Please contact Arinn Widmayer at email@example.com or 919.306.7270.
Three weeks of healthy choices — one more to go!
As you get ready for the 5K, don’t forget all the other activities leading up to the big day. We’re now into week 3 of the Healthy Choice Marathon!
- The theme for week 3: Try a NEW exercise or activity each day. Be creative!
- Keep encouraging your teachers and staff in the weekly staff wellness challenges! This week we’ll see who can post a healthy choice(s) using our #JYJ175K hashtag on social media. Next week wraps up the month-long bookworm challenge — who can check off the most books from the reading challenge list?
- Reading books is part of a healthy life — don’t forget to help gets books to kids who need them by donating gently used books at school as part of the WAKE Up and Read annual book drive. If Joyner collects 2,600 books by this Friday, students get to dress up as their favorite book character on Friday, March 3.
Run Club meets tomorrow
Run Club meets again tomorrow after school for all who are already signed up. Thanks to all the volunteers who stepped up to make the JYJ Run Club possible. If you missed out on tomorrow’s session, you can still click here to register your child and click here to sign up as a volunteer for March 2. Registration closes on Tuesdays at midnight each week and children must be registered to attend. Parents are strongly encouraged to volunteer twice and are not required to run.
Look for markers, Legos and shoes in your spring cleaning
All this warm weather have you itching to start your spring cleaning? Joyner is here to take some of those items off your hands.
- Did you use markers on your Valentine’s Day crafts? This is a reminder that we can recycle ALL kinds of dried up markers through the Crayola Colorcycle Program. Bring them to Mr. Fotta’s room and look for the colorful collection bin!
- Do you have Lego hanging around the house that you are tired or stepping on or that are taking up space in your storage? Technology teacher Jennifer Bell is in search of all things Lego for use with Stop Motion movies and a new Maker Space. Any and all donations would be hugely appreciated and can be dropped off at the Joyner technology lab in the media center. Contact Ms. Bell at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- Bring in new and used shoes for Mr. Fotta’s collection to support his family’s adoption trip — donation bins are in the front lobby and beside the art classroom.
Yearbook team is counting on you for photos
Our yearbook committee needs your pictures now — especially candid shots of kids around campus! As you take pictures on field trips, while visiting your child at lunch and attending school events, please take a minute to send those pictures to email@example.com. If you’re sending from a phone, make sure to choose “actual size.” Your kids love seeing themselves in the yearbook and you can make that happen!
Help guide language arts curriculum for WCPSS
Wake County Public School System wants your input about the English/language arts curriculum in grades 3-8. In these sessions, you will be asked to review some very high quality curriculum resources to be introduced in our schools beginning next year. Teachers and other school professionals will be on hand to guide you through the process. Sessions are set for Feb. 27-March 2 from 6:30 to 8 p.m. and are open to parents and community members. See the WCPSS website for details and locations.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Mrs. Hutchinson’s blog
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Mr. Fotta’s adoption site
- Feb. 23: Run Club, 3-4 p.m.
- March 1: TEK Club registration, 8-8:30 a.m.
- March 2: Run Club, 3-4 p.m.
- March 3: Carlotta Santana Dance Ensemble performance for all grades
- March 5: Joyner 5K
- March 9: Student-led conferences (sign up in your class Hub)
- March 20-24: Writer-in-residents with 4th graders
- March 22: Number Drummer performance for all grades
- March 23: Spirit Night at United Skates, 6-8:30 p.m.
- March 31: Snow make-up day (school is in session)
- April 10-14: Spring break