Pictures are needed for the yearbook! Please send pictures — especially Dance-a-thon and Joyner Jamboree pictures — to Tracy Robinson at email@example.com. Click “actual size.”
Teacher Appreciation and Early Release on Friday
It’s an Early Release on Friday — school ends at 12:30 — and that means Teacher Appreciation! The theme this time is “Our teachers are the queens and kings of our hearts!” Students tell their teachers why they are the queens/kings of their hearts or bring their teachers something that makes them feel like queens and kings for the day.
A Big THANK YOU to Ms. Burston!
And speaking of appreciation, it’s National Counseling Week this week. Take a moment to let our School Counselor, Ms. Burston, know how much you appreciate all that she does! Anyone who has seen the line of kids in the morning waiting to get their hug from Ms. Burston cannot help but appreciate the love and joy she brings to our Joyner family. Please give her a shout-out for her contribution to student achievement and success at Joyner.
Clothing Donations Still Needed for JYJ Students
Happy Birthday to Mr. Charles
Please take a moment this FRIDAY to wish our school crossing guard Mr. Charles a happy birthday as he walks you across the street on your way into and out of school.
Healthy Choice Marathon Week 1: What You Need To Know
Want to know more about what’s happening with the Healthy Choice Marathon this week?
- Theme for Week 1: Try a new food!
- Weekly Staff Wellness Challenge: We need your help encouraging your teachers and staff!
- This week is the Step Master Challenge to see who can take the most steps in a work week.
- Next week we’ll see who can complete the most (different) exercise activities in a week.
- Collections for the Classroom Challenge are happening every morning in the front lobby and the carpool loop. Bring your spare change (or bills) and contribute! Check out details about 5K sponsorships and the Classroom Challenge on the PTA website. Remember, there will be one winning class for each grade level, and each grade level winner will get a frozen yogurt party for the entire class! The class who raises the most in the whole school will win: 1) a JUMP party at Skyzone and 2) starting at the FRONT of the crowd on 5K race day! Questions? Contact Shawn Winstead at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Reading books is part of a healthy life — you can help gets books to kids who need them by donating gently used books at school as part of the WAKE Up and Read annual book drive. If Joyner collects 2,600 books, students get to dress up as their favorite book character on Friday, March 3.
Joyner 5K Registration Open – Register Now and Save
Registration is now open for the 7th Annual JYJ 5K Run/Walk on March 4 at 2 p.m.
Visit https://app.racereach.com/event/jyj-5k to register yourself, your children and all your friends who want in on the action! Get the early bird price ($15) by registering between now and Feb. 11. Regular registration ($18) will run between Feb. 12 and race day. Questions? Contact Arinn Widmayer at email@example.com.
Become a JYJ 5K Sponsor
Promotional materials, race T-shirts and online marketing come with sponsorship opportunities for advertising your business! All sponsorships 100% tax deductible. Opportunities available at many levels. Please contact Arinn Widmayer at firstname.lastname@example.org or check out https://joynerpta.com/5k-running-club/.
TEK Clubs and Run Club Start This Week
TEK Clubs start TODAY. Remind your child this morning about club, send an extra snack, and plan to pick them up at 4:45 at the front of the school.
Run Club starts THURSDAY. Run Club has become an annual Healthy Choice Marathon tradition, and is FREE for all Joyner students! The club meets after school for four Thursdays during the Healthy Choice Marathon: 2/8, 2/15, 2/22, and 3/1 from 3-4 p.m. Each week, volunteers collect kids from their classrooms and GET MOVING together down at the baseball field and on the greenway adjacent to Joyner. The Run Club is volunteer-driven, so parent participation and advance enrollment are essential. Register your child at Run Club Registration. Contact Shanna Schroeder at email@example.com with questions.
For both clubs, participating students enrolled in JYJ afterschool will be taken to afterschool when club time ends.
Summer Camps Offered by JYJ Teachers
Sign up now for art, PE and STEAM summer camp fun! Mr. Fotta, Mr. Poyer and Ms. Cameron are offering JYJ summer camps for three weeks this summer (July 23 – August 10) — camps are open to any rising K through 5th students (not just Joyner kids). Choose from half-day art, PE or STEAM camps, or put two together to make a full day. Click here for the updated registration form. Questions? Contact Mr. Fotta at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Resilience Film Screenings: Feb 9 and other dates available
Sign up to attend a free film screening of the 60-minute documentary Resilience, all about Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) and their significant impact on health—and learning. Marbles Kids Museum is presenting multiple FREE community screenings at the IMAX, but two screenings this Friday (an early release day), may be of particular interest. For details, click here.
NCPTA Lunch and Learn Series: What Every Parent Needs to Know about Sleep!
From babies to high schoolers, sleep is an ever-changing challenge to parents. Join Dr. Jesse Hart of WakeMed Pediatric Practices to talk about all things sleep and sleep hygiene from babies to teens.
- When: March 8, 11:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Where: NCPTA Headquarters, 3501 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC, 27612
- Cost: $20 – Lunch will be provided.
Register at: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lunch-and-learn-what-every-parent-needs-to-know-about-sleep-tickets-41314964170 Ticket sales end on March 6.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Feb. 9: Early Release and Teacher Appreciation
- Feb. 12-13: Beverly Botsford’s Dancing Drums performances (whole school)
- Feb. 17: Odyssey of the Mind Primary Tournament at Wake Tech
- Feb. 19: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 2: Early release and Teacher Appreciation
- Mar. 3: Odyssey of the Mind Regional Tournament @ Wake Tech
- Mar. 4: JYJ 5k
- Mar. 9: Black Box Dance performances (whole school)
- Mar. 12-16: Tony Peacock, writer-in-residence (4th graders)
- Mar. 24: Odyssey of the Mind State Tournament @ Wingate University
- Mar. 29: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 30: Holiday
- Apr. 2-6: Spring Break
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.