Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night Tomorrow
Come join us for our annual Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night tomorrow, March 1, from 4-8 p.m. at North Hills. This event follows our final JYJ Run Club practice. Why not skip the dishes and head straight to Chick-Fil-A North Hills to celebrate with friends? Proceeds from the night benefit our Joyner PTA. Questions? Contact Leigh Wolitski at (919) 606-5219.
Early Release and Teacher/Staff Appreciation on Friday
This Friday, March 2, is an early release. Help students tell their teachers and staff “We DONUT know what we would do without you!” by bringing gift cards for their favorite sweet treats – think Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts, Duck Donuts, Krispy Kreme, etc.
Joyner 5K on Sunday – Volunteers Needed!
You can still register through Friday for the JYJ 5K! Register online at https://joynerpta.com/5k-running-club/ or https://www.facebook.com/jyJoyner5K/. We have ordered extra t-shirts so hopefully we’ll be able to accommodate those who didn’t register by the t-shirt deadline. Check out the t-shirts here.
Have fun on Sunday! The 5K is this Sunday, March 4, at 2:00 p.m. at JYJ. The PTA is hosting a 5K Fun Fair from 1:00 to 3:30 p.m., complete with family activities, a photo booth, music, Locopops food truck and much more. Come out and make an afternoon of it!
Volunteer Help Needed
Ms. Truax and Ms. Orr have requested help for a couple of hours to laminate, copy and cut some materials. Please email email@example.com if you’re available to help.
It’s the Final Week of the Healthy Choice Marathon!
As you get ready for the 5K next Sunday, don’t forget all the other activities leading up to the big day. Congratulations on all the Healthy Choices you’ve made these last few weeks!
- The theme for everyone in week 4: Read, read, read! Read as many pages as you can.
- Weekly Staff Wellness Challenge: Keep encouraging your teachers and staff! Who checked off the most books from the reading challenge list?
- And speaking of books, do you have your costume ready for Friday? Students are invited to dress as their favorite book character on March 2 in celebration of collecting more than 2,600 books! Keep bringing in gently used books through Friday for the WAKE Up and Read annual book drive.
Classroom Challenge Winners
The Classroom Challenge is over and we had some serious competition going on. The PTA thanks you all for your contributions. These funds will allow us to install touchless water bottle filling stations at the water foundations on campus!
Grade Level Winners get a frozen yogurt party at school!
- Kindergarten — Johnson
- 1st grade — McCallum
- 2nd grade — Douglas
- 3rd grade — Wilson/ Kelly/ Rogers
- 4th grade — Wallace
- 5th grade — Del
Our overall class winner is Mrs. Millsaps’ class! They brought in the most money and win a Defy Gravity jump party AND they get to line up FIRST at the 5K on Sunday.
Yearbook Club Pictures and Class Pictures Coming Up
Time to Order Yearbooks – through March 20
Capture those precious memories and order your child’s JYJ yearbook today! Flyers came home in the Wednesday folders or you can order online at www.ybpay.lifetouch.com. Joyner’s yearbook ID code is 10746718. No extra yearbooks will be purchased, so please order yours now through March 20. Questions? Contact Claren Englebreth at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send in Yearbook Pics!
And speaking of yearbooks, don’t forget to share your pictures of school events with Tracy Robinson at email@example.com for inclusion in the yearbook. Click “actual size” when you send via your smartphone.
Summer Camps with Joyner Teachers
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer can’t wait to see YOU at camp this summer!
- Join Ms. Cameron as she goes full STEAM ahead, diving into hands-on science, technology, engineering, art and math activities.
- Create priceless one-of-a-kind 2D and 3D masterpieces with Mr. Fotta.
- Team up with Mr. Poyer and play all of your favorite P.E. games, along with a few new ones he has up his sleeve.
Camps are open to any rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3, and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Kindergarten Readiness and First Grade Refresher Camp
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering their rising kindergarten readiness camp again this year and adding a special week for rising first graders, too!
Camps are half-day (9-noon) and run June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form.
Barre 3 Class for the JYJ Foundation on March 8
If you are a Barre 3 regular, or have always wanted to try a class, now is your chance! On Thursday, March 8, at 7 pm, the Barre 3 studio in Five Points will be hosting a donation class for the JYJ Foundation. Space for the class is limited, so click here to register — just scroll to the March 8 date and click on Donation Class Benefitting the Joyner Foundation. If you have taken classes at Barre3 before, you can use your member log in. If not, you will need to create a log in, but just takes a second. Suggested donation is $20 (cost of the class) when you come to the event.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- Mar. 1: Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night at North Hills, 4-8 pm
- Mar. 2: Early release and Teacher Appreciation
- Mar. 3: Odyssey of the Mind Regional Tournament @ Wake Tech
- Mar. 4: JYJ 5k
- Mar. 8: Barre 3 class fundraiser for the JYJ Foundation, 7:00 pm
- Mar. 9: Black Box Dance performances (whole school)
- Mar. 12-16: Tony Peacock, writer-in-residence (4th graders)
- Mar. 24: Odyssey of the Mind State Tournament @ Wingate University
- Mar. 29: Snow make-up day. School is in session.
- Mar. 30: Holiday
- Apr. 2-6: Spring Break
- Apr. 12: Spring pictures and class photos
- Apr. 26: PTA general membership meeting, 6:15 pm, and Spring performance, 6:45 pm
- May 5: Science Olympiad division tournament
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.