Click here for an update on Wake County schools’ budget proposal to the County Commissioners. A public hearing is set for May 21.
School Closed Next Wednesday, May 16
All Wake County schools will be closed next Wednesday, May 16, due to a teacher’s rally in Raleigh scheduled for the same day. So far, 12 other school districts in the state are closing as well. Click here for more information. See below for for child care options for that day.
Students and parents are welcome to participate in the March for Students and Rally for Respect being held next Wednesday. The March for Students begins at 10:30 a.m. at NCAE headquarters; the Rally for Respect starts at 3:30. Click here for more details.
Child Care Options for Day Off Next Wednesday
JYJ PTA members and friends have pulled together a list of places around the Triangle who are offering child care options for next Wednesday, when school will be closed. Thanks to all who contributed to this list. See below, organized by town, and click hyperlinks for more information. (Listing does not constitute endorsement by the PTA, just trying to help share info.)
- Local YMCAs
- Boys & Girls Clubs will be open to members
- Coach Scott will be offering a morning camp from 9am to 12:30pm, either at Hayes Barton Baptist Gym or Roanoke Park. All elementary aged kids are welcome and older siblings are more than welcome to be assistant coaches. Cost; $35 if Roanoke, $40 if HBBC. Contact Coach Scott with questions.
- NCSU Club Tennis Camp
- Raleigh Parks and Rec
- Giggles Drop-In Child Care. Click here for more information and a coupon.
- Various child care centers offering groupons
- Marbles Kids Museum
- Flour Power Kids Cooking Studio
- CraZBrain in RTP (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- RightTimeKids (Durant Road 919.847.8407 or Oberlin Road 919.400.5561)
- XL SportsWorld, 1016 Investment Blvd, Apex, NC 27502. (919) 387-2955
- Bounce U, 3419 Apex Peakway, Apex, NC 27502. (919) 303-3368
- Kool Kidz drop-in, 806 Perry Road, Apex, NC 27502. (919)439-3342. email@example.com
- S’kids drop-in, 5160 Sunset Lake Rd #111, Apex, NC 27539. (919) 362-5445
- TPANC Track Out/Baseball Camp— Apex location only
- Giggles at Harrison Pointe Shopping Center, 267 Grande Heights Dr, Cary, NC 27513. (919) 468-1001
- Allen’s Taekwondo: $30 for the day, kids will need to bring a lunch (no peanuts). (919) 467-5425
- Science Fun for Everyone, The Science Lab Location, 111 James Jackson Ave, #131
Cary, NC 27513
Easy, Flexible Volunteer Gig for Joyner PTA Next Year
Are you looking for a way to help out at Joyner that allows you flexibility? Volunteer to curate the NewsFlash next year! It takes about 1-2 hours per week, and you can do it whenever works for you. Like a newspaper editor, you’ll receive copy from your reporters (PTA volunteers) each week. You’ll pull it together, format it in MemberHub, and schedule it ahead of time to go out early Wednesday morning – no need to set that early alarm. If you think you might be interested, please reply to this email, and we can talk more.
Speaking of Volunteering…RSVP for Volunteer Breakfast
JYJ staff puts on a volunteer breakfast every year to thank the many parent volunteers who helped out at school. This year’s breakfast will be this Friday, May 11, at 8 am. Please RSVP to let the staff know whether you plan to attend, so they can get an accurate headcount.
Field Day this Friday – Volunteers and Donations Needed
Field Day will be this Friday, May 11 at Kiwanis Park.
- Grades K-2 will participate from 9:15-11:15.
- Grades 3-5 will participate from 11:30-1:30.
Please send your child with a change of clothes (they may get wet!), a towel and a water bottle. No bathing suits or flip flops please. Volunteers are needed to run fun stations — you can sign up on posters at Kiwanis Park 15 minutes before your child’s session. Donations are needed for juice boxes, water bottles and cookies — please drop them off with Mr. Poyer.
Class Placement Forms Available in the Office
Any families wishing to share information about their children to inform class placements for next year can do so this week by picking up a parent form at the front office. This is not mandatory. Information shared should be about your child and not a request for a specific teacher.
Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
When:Thursday, May 17
- 4:45-8 p.m.: Food Truck Frenzy (trucks accept cash & credit)
- 6-8 p.m.: Nonsense Show is ALWAYS FREE & ALWAYS FUN! This is a hilarious live show, performed by your very own Joyner Teachers & Staff. Yes, you get to laugh AT your teachers!
Where: Food Trucks in the carpool lane/loop, seating in the cafeteria, show under the overhang next to the carpool loop.
RSVP via the Facebook event page:https://www.facebook.com/events/876820515856712/. Just visit the page and click “Going” to RSVP!
MORE RSVPs = MORE Food Trucks!Parking is limited, so please walk or carpool if you can. Bring money for food trucks and a picnic blanket if you’d like to eat outside.
Volunteers and Supplies Needed for Night of Nonsense
For the second year, Joyner will provide a “Quiet Room” at Night of Nonsense for anyone who needs to step out of the fun for a few minutes. If you can volunteer to supervise the quiet room for part of the evening or let us borrow some supplies (bean bag chair, books, music player, coloring supplies, sensory toys, etc.) please sign up here. Thank you for helping make Night of Nonsense fun for ALL our Joyner kids and families.
Summer Camp Opportunities
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer’s camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3 and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering half-day kindergarten readiness camps June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form.
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- May 11: Volunteer Breakfast, 8-8:30 am
- May 11: Field Day
- May 16: No School
- May 17: Night of Nonsense and Food Truck Frenzy
- May 24: Kindergarten orientation, 8:45 am in the gym
- May 28: Holiday – No School
- June 7: 5th grade graduation, 8-9 am
- June 8: 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game AND last day of school!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.