End of Grade testing (EOGs) starts this Friday for third through fifth graders. Be sure your child is well-rested and eats breakfast.
- Third graders will test Friday (Math) and next Tuesday (Reading).
- Fourth graders will test next Wednesday (Reading) and Thursday (Math)
- Fifth graders will test Friday (Reading), next Tuesday (Math) and next Thursday (Science).
- Make-up test days are next Wednesday and Friday.
Kindergarten Orientation Tomorrow
Rising kindergarteners and their parents are invited to join us for an informative meeting tomorrow, Thursday, May 24, from 8:40-9:45 a.m. in the JYJ gym. This is your child’s chance to get a feel for what kindergarten will be like and a chance for parents to learn more about kindergarten at JYJ.
You can also sign up for our New Families Hub on MemberHub to stay up-to-date on upcoming information and events.
Rising Kindergarten Parent Event
Summer Camp Opportunities – Rising Kindergartners Welcome!
Ms. Cameron, Mr. Fotta and Mr. Poyer’s STEAM, art and PE camps are open to ANY rising kindergartners through 5th grade and run from 9-noon and 1-4 pm. Supervised before care (8-9am), lunch (12-1pm) and after care (4-5pm) included at no extra cost. Camp dates are July 23-27, July 30-Aug 3 and Aug 6-10. To download registration form, click here.
Ms. Johnson and Ms. Forbes are offering half-day kindergarten readiness camps June 25-29, July 23-27, and Aug 6-10 for rising Kinders. July 30-Aug. 3 is First Grade Refresher week. Click here to learn more and click here to download the registration form.
Fifth Grade Graduation Details
Attention parents of fifth graders! Here’s your end-of-school check list:
- Fifth Grade Graduation will be held June 7:
- 8:15-8:50 am: Graduates and their families (no Joyner siblings, please) are invited for a pre-program reception in the cafeteria. Light refreshments will be served.
- 9 am: Graduation Celebration outside in the carpool loop
- 11 am-1 pm: Celebration lunch in the carpool loop. Pizza lunch will be provided for 5th graders, and slices for family members who pre-order and pay using the form that went home in backpacks at the end of last week.
- Kick-ball game (fifth graders vs. teachers) will be June 8.
- Please have your child wear his or her 5th grade t-shirt.
- Graduation Party at North Hills Club on Friday evening, June 8, is FREE and open to all JYJ 5th graders! Click here for information in Spanish.
- 7 pm – 9 pm. Please drop off your child at 7:00 and pick him/her up promptly at 9:00.
- North Hills Club Ballroom, 4824 Yadkin Drive, Raleigh, NC 27609
- Light Refreshments, Dressy Casual Attire, DJ With Age Appropriate Music
- Chaperones will be in attendance
- No swimming allowed; No siblings
RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
The letter that came home last week also included information on how to donate to the Fifth Grade Class Gift to Joyner, which will be a station to fill water bottles attached to the water fountain on the Fifth Grade Hall.
JYJ Girls On The Run Needs Coaches in 2018-19
Joyner is hoping to host a Girls on the Run (GOTR) team in the Fall of 2018 and Spring of 2019, but we need your help! We must secure at least two — preferably three — volunteer coaches. Coaches participate in a one-day training this summer and running experience is NOT required. Moms, teachers, big sisters, aunts, baby sitters, and family friends (ages 18+) are all welcome to apply! Girls on the Run is a wonderful leadership, fitness and character development program for rising 3rd – 5th grade girls. Practices would be Tuesday and Thursday outside of Joyner for 90 minutes right after school from Sept. 25 – Dec. 3. Click here for more info. Please help spread the word that we need coaches on social media. Stay tuned for registration details for the girls. Contact Shanna Schroeder with any questions or if you are interested in coaching: email@example.com.
Lunch and Learn: What Every Parent Needs to Know About…
… Starting Kindergarten!
On June 14, Dr. MariaRosa Rangel will address the most common parent and child concerns about the big move to kindergarten and set parents up for success in supporting their student.
Location: NCPTA Headquarters, 3501 Glenwood Ave, Raleigh, NC 27612
Lunch will be provided. There is limited seating for the Lunch and Learn Series so register today!
- Joyner PTA website
- Joyner glossary of terms
- J.Y. Joyner Foundation website
- Join the JYJ MemberHub
- Join the Wake County PTA MemberHub
- WCPSS email alerts and newsletters
- Lunch menus
- My School Bucks (lunch money app)
- WCPSS Online School Payments (for field trips)
- Triple P (Positive Parenting Program)
- Joyner Amazon Smile shopping account
- Harris Teeter VIC card link (number 1988)
- Kroger card link (NPO number is 86044)
- May 24: Kindergarten orientation, 8:40 am in the gym
- May 25 – June 1: End of Grade testing (EOGs)
- May 28: Holiday – No School
- June 1: Rising K parent drop-in, 8-10 am
- June 4: Read to Achieve testing – 3rd grade only
- June 7: 5th grade graduation events, 8:15 am – 1 pm
- June 8: Last day of school and 5th grade vs. teachers kickball game!
The NewsFlash is produced (almost) every week by the Joyner PTA communications chair. Have an announcement to include in a future edition of the NewsFlash? Submit your article via this form. And don’t forget to follow us on Twitter @pta_joyner.